The SPS Tutoring Program is intended to help students fill existing gaps in knowledge, and to become independent learners in a particular subject. As an expert in a content area, tutors provide support and clarification for material that students have trouble understanding. Tutoring is offered on a first come, first served basis in the following content areas: Programming (Python, R, SQL, Machine Learning), Finance, Mathematics, Statistics, Excel, and English Speaking & Writing.
Schedule an Appointment with an SPS Tutor
- As of Fall 2021, SPS Tutoring is available through SPS Engage. You can only access the service by logging in to the platform with your Columbia UNI and password.
- Read the Student Tutoring Agreement before signing up for your first session. Please note that sessions are not recurring and should be made only on a needs-basis. Students are limited to one session per subject per week.
- Schedule an appointment with a tutor through SPS Engage based on the content area and the tutor’s availability. Answer all required registration questions. Here, you will choose the location of the session and provide your tutor with the information they need to prepare for the appointment. A confirmation email and a calendar invitation will be sent after the session is created.
- Submit responses for the SPS Tutoring Session Survey after each appointment. Students utilizing tutoring services are asked to complete the evaluation form in order to continuously assess and improve the tutoring program. Individual responses will not be shared with the tutors. Students who submit a completed evaluation will be entered into a raffle to win a $50 Visa gift card. Any questions or concerns can be sent to sps-tutoring [[at]] columbia [[dot]] edu.
Appointments begin: TBD.
English Language Tutors Available
Tutoring for English Language Writing and Speaking is now available. Read the English Language Tutoring Guidelines and schedule an appointment through SPS Engage. You must log in with your Columbia UNI and password to access this service. Appointments begin Monday, September 13th 2021.
Apply to Become a Tutor (Fall 2021 Applications Closed)
The School of Professional Studies (SPS) aims to guide students to become stakeholders in their academic journey by equipping them with knowledge, skills, and opportunities to support their success. Our students come to the University with a diverse set of lived experiences, and our goal is to provide them with the necessary resources to navigate their time here. The School is seeking qualified and motivated tutors in a variety of academic fields to support the SPS student community in their studies. Content areas include: Programming (Python, R, SQL, Machine Learning), Finance, Mathematics, Statistics, and Advanced Excel.
- Provide academic support during 1-on-1 tutoring sessions.
- Help students develop and implement academic success strategies.
- Share/refer students to existing campus resources, as needed.
- Demonstrate a commitment to academic integrity.
- Further develop their own communication skills, teaching strategies, and knowledge of their specific content area(s).
Tutor compensation is $25.00 per hour, ~10 hours per week.
- Must be a continuing M.S. or M.P.S. student (not in their first semester).
- Must have received a grade of B+ or higher in all relevant coursework (to be reviewed by SPS).
- Must be in good standing.
- Must be enrolled in a Master's program and actively enrolled in class during the semester or semesters in which the student will be working.
- Must be located in the United States.
Students interested in becoming tutors should complete the application on SPS Engage and have a faculty member (one per content area) submit a recommendation form on their behalf. Applications will not be considered complete until faculty recommendations are submitted. A Columbia University transcript is required to verify academic performance in related coursework prior to hiring [unofficial copies (eg. screenshots of SSOL) are acceptable].
Note: Applications submitted missing any of the aforementioned components will be marked as incomplete and therefore excluded from consideration.
- SPS Tutoring Application: TBD (Spring 2021)
- Recommendation Form for Tutoring Applicants: TBD (Spring 2021)
Questions? Please contact sps-tutoring [[at]] columbia [[dot]] edu.