Welcome to the e-Mentor Program sponsored by the Career Design Lab and Alumni Relations at the Columbia University School of Professional Studies. We are excited to connect current students with experienced professionals. This program is designed to tap into the existing knowledge, skills, and experience of high performing alumni and transfer these skills to newer or less experienced students in order to advance their careers. We hope you enjoy all of the benefits that this program provides.
Duration & Frequency
The Spring e-Mentor program runs from January 18 - March 18, 2021. All mentors and mentees are expected to hold at least four mentoring sessions for a minimum of 30 minutes per session anytime in the three-month period.
- December 4: e-Mentors are confirmed + e-Mentor confirmation form closes
- December 9: e-Mentor profiles go live (see the bottom of this page)
- December 11: Student e-Mentee participation submissions open
- December 21: Student e-Mentee participation submissions closes
- December 28: Pairing announcement to mentors and mentees
- January 6, 12-12:30pm (EST): Optional mentor orientation
- January 7, 12-12:30pm (EST): Mandatory mentee orientation
- January 15: e-Mentor Program (EMP) contract due
- January 18 - March 18: Minimum 4 mentoring sessions
- March 26: Survey closes
Student Sign-up & Pairing
This is a first-come, first-serve basis sign-up process. Students can review the e-Mentors from the bottom of the page and submit their first top three choices on the Student e-Mentor Program Submissions form. You must fill out all questions to be considered for the e-Mentor Program. CDL will review mentee and mentor preferences including program of study, skills, job functions, shared interests, shared affiliations and career alignment in pairing of mentor and mentee.
Mentor and Mentee Benefits
The e-Mentor Program is a wonderful opportunity for mentors to support Columbia SPS students in their career journey. Mentors will learn first-hand challenges and opportunities that mentees face and provide valuable insights on how to start and navigate careers, share industry information, review job applications, and conduct practice interviews with their mentees. The e-Mentor program offers an excellent networking opportunity for mentees, not only for building a strong base for your professional network but also for long-term career success, including the following:
- Deepen connections with the Columbia community
- Learn about and discuss specific and linear career paths
- Develop and cultivate and extended network
- Understand the relevance of their academic studies in practical setting
- Discuss what tasks and issues professionals/leaders face at workplace
- Discuss attributes and experiences organizations are truly looking for in potential candidates
We are here to assist you, please direct any questions or concerns to your CDL partner, Onika Richards, or2237 [[at]] columbia [[dot]] edu, or Tiya McIver, tm2968 [[at]] columbia [[dot]] edu.
The mentor’s role is to share experience, insights and feedback that will guide the mentor in the achievement of his or her learning objectives. Listening plays an important part in the mentoring role – listening to understand the mentee’s goals and to uncover key learning opportunities that support those goals.
We recommend all e-Mentors to attend the 30-min virtual orientation on Thursday, January 7th at 12-12:30pm (EST).
The mentee’s role is to manage the mentoring partnership. Since the partnership is focused on the mentee’s learning objectives, it is essential that potential mentees devote time to clarifying professional goals and identifying strengths that will promote the achievement of those goals and development areas that may be obstacles.
All selected e-Mentees must attend the 30-min virtual orientation on Thursday, January 8, 2021 from 12-12:30pm (EST).
e-Mentor Program (EMP) Contract
Download the e-Mentor Program (EMP) contract here. All e-Mentor and e-Mentees need to review the form and return the signed copy to Onika Richards at or2237 [[at]] columbia [[dot]] edu () by Friday, January 15, 2021.