SPS CARE Team
SPS CARE TEAM
The SPS CARE Team (Campus Assessment Response & Evaluation) coordinates prevention, intervention and support efforts across campus and community systems to identify, assess, and mitigate risks associated with students, faculty,
staff, and visitors exhibiting concerning behaviors.
By partnering with members of the University community, the CARE Team strives to promote student wellbeing and success while prioritizing community safety. The CARE Team develops a support plan for students to help them deal effectively with personal situations that might impact their academic performance.
Goals of the CARE Team
- Provide a safe physical and emotional environment for members of the university community
- Ensure access to the appropriate support resources
- Promote peace of mind for friends and family of the university community
- Encourage ongoing self-care methods through tailored referral support services
Our aim is to provide students with a central point for support and resources available through The School of Professional Studies and Columbia University.
Reasons to Report
Behavior that is concerning to the student involved or to other members of the Columbia community should be reported to the CARE Team. This behavior may include but is not limited to:
- General well being concerns
- Sending verbal or written threats to another student, staff, or faculty member
- Writing about or verbally expressing feelings of hopelessness or suicidal ideation
- Exhibiting declining academic performance and/or has excessive absences
- Expressing feelings of hopelessness or helplessness
- Displaying physical signs of fatigue, disorientation, anxiety, stress, failing to eat, or poor hygiene
- Messages on social media with concerning language
- Engaging in other actions which cause an alarm or call into question the safety of the student or other members of the community
The student that you report will be given the support and assistance they require by the CARE Team and other University and/or community resources. The CARE Team develops a support plan for students to help them deal effectively with personal situations that might impact their academic performance.
The primary purpose of the CARE Team is to provide help to students. When you report a student that you are concerned about, you are ensuring that they will receive the best possible assistance from qualified staff members.
Submit a Concern
To submit a concern please fill out the report form below. Please include as much detail as possible. Please note this form is to submit concerns for School of Professional Studies (SPS) students only. The referral form is not meant to be used for an emergency response. Referral forms will be followed up on within 24-48 hours.
The SPS CARE Team members are not emergency responders. If this is an emergency and you need to report an imminent threat or life-endangering situation involving a student, please contact Public Safety at 212-854-5555 and refer to the Emergency/Crisis resources.
The Columbia University Blue Folder is a comprehensive guide intended to provide tips about addressing students in distress and University Resources.