The future of wealth management starts here.
Master of Professional Studies in Wealth Management
Part-Time | Online | 16 Months | The only degree of its kind in the Ivy League
The wealth management industry is at an inflection point. A shifting value proposition, wealth-tech adoption, regulatory changes, the democratization of financial advice and products, and sizable transfers of wealth over the next few decades are just some of the forces that are transforming and creating new career opportunities in wealth management. Columbia University’s Master of Professional Studies in Wealth Management prepares experienced and aspiring wealth management professionals to meet the disruptive challenges of today’s industry.
As client service expectations and the role of the financial advisor have broadened significantly, advisors must embrace a holistic approach to wealth management and understand their client’s goals across multiple dimensions. The success of a wealth management professional calls for advisors to offer a wider array of tailored financial and life-planning advice. Columbia University’s rigorous, multidisciplinary program helps students build expertise in the theory and practice of core areas of wealth management, such as investment, tax, estate, and retirement planning in conjunction with honing important client skills such as communication, psychology, decision making, and relationship management. The curriculum is built around problem-based learning to encourage collaboration, team-building, and critical thinking. This innovative part-time program provides students with the knowledge and skills to have an immediate impact in the workplace and the strategies and tools to successfully navigate a wealth management firm through changes in the coming decade.
A 16-month online program specially designed to accommodate working professionals, Columbia University’s Master of Professional Studies in Wealth Management program is taught by elite faculty with deep, applied experience in their respective fields. Additionally, it is a CFP Board Registered Program designed to help students meet the educational requirements for CFP® certification. The future of wealth management starts here – join Columbia University’s Master of Professional Studies in Wealth Management program, the only one of its kind in the Ivy League.
|Program Option||Required Experience||Course Formats||Time Commitment|
|Master of Professional Studies (part-time)||
At least 2 years of professional experience
Online and self-paced, with two 2-3 day in-person sessions
Applied Research Project
|Financial Planning Teaching Seminar (Executive Education)||
Visit the seminar site for suitability and registration details.
In This Master’s Program, You Will…
- Gain core investing and planning skills from industry experts and leaders.
- Learn how to enhance client relationships with individuals, institutions, and family offices.
- Understand the holistic goals-based approach to investment planning and the delivery of value-add solutions.
- Practice applying advanced theory in client psychology and communication to relevant client scenarios and contexts.
- Understand and utilize evolving technology in wealth management.
- Articulate emerging trends and learn how to proactively respond to them in a leadership capacity.
- Receive one-on-one mentoring from program faculty and staff.
- Engage in coursework aligned with the skills needed to pass the Certified Financial Planner (CFP®) exam.
Program Features Include…
- A cutting-edge curriculum that focuses on problem-based learning with real-world, client-driven applications of concepts and tools.
A preeminent scholar-practitioner faculty that includes leading wealth management professionals who bring their insights and experience into the classroom.
Academic content is available on demand. This is a part-time, online learning platform tailored for working professionals seeking rigor and structure along with flexibility, convenience, and a virtual community.
A collaborative learning environment that encourages teamwork and meaningful relationships with fellow students.
Access to an extensive professional network of leading wealth managers, thought leaders, faculty, and alumni as well as career development services and professional development opportunities.
Opportunity to develop and present a comprehensive financial plan designed for a client. Through this Applied Research Project, students will receive direct feedback from peers, faculty, and corporate partners.
- A CFP® Board-registered program that meets the educational requirements for CFP® certification, the industry’s highest standard for excellence.
Who Should Apply?*
- Current wealth management professions seeking career advancement
- Career changers who want to become wealth managers
- Consultants, accountants, lawyers, and tax specialists looking to advance their overall knowledge and expertise in wealth management
- Professionals looking to start their own Registered Investment Advisor or family office
- Individuals looking to satisfy the educational requirements necessary to obtain their CFP® certification
*Program requirement of 2+ years relevant work experience
Academic Policies & Procedures
The School of Professional Studies (SPS) brings together the scholarly and practitioner worlds in a variety of academic settings. To maintain the highest academic and professional standards, SPS has established a number of policy and procedures for its students to follow.
Connect with Us
Learn more about Wealth Management at Columbia University School of Professional Studies, or contact the program admissions counselor.Request more information
Study with Us
As admissions to our programs are highly competitive, we encourage you to apply as soon as possible. Learn more about the application process, deadlines, and requirements.Learn more