On January 21, 2021, the Information and Knowledge Strategy program hosted an event with Arno Boersma, Founder of Island Impact and former Director of the COE for Small Island Developing States of the UNDP, on building networks among the world's small island developing states to create sustainable development solutions. Watch a video of the event above.
Optimizing organizational outcomes through collaborative leadership.
Information and Knowledge Strategy
The most productive organizations are strikingly similar. They make smarter decisions based on better information. They inspire collaborative teams that can execute those decisions effectively. They create cultures of excellence. Columbia University’s Master of Science in Information and Knowledge Strategy (IKNS) develops leaders prepared to guide such organizations. Our graduates master essential skills in collaborative leadership, strategy, entrepreneurship, design, and change management. Their training enables them to optimize organizational decisions and outcomes, which translates to increased productivity and impact at all levels of organizations across all industry, nonprofit, and government sectors.
Coursework is part-time and is designed to be completed by working professionals.
At a Glance
In This Master’s Program, You Will...
- Develop essential skills in collaboration, strategy, entrepreneurship, innovative digital product design, change management, and data analytics to lead 21st-Century organizations.
- Understand the future of work and how to lead your organization there.
- Leverage mission-critical data, information, and knowledge to optimize organizational outcomes.
- Learn from an esteemed faculty of scholar-practitioners with backgrounds in psychology, business administration, economics, information systems, business intelligence, market research, social media, UI/UX, and analytics.
- Learn how to transform organizational knowledge into marketable assets.
- Increase productivity by improving key business processes and knowledge flows.
- Build human networks that provide support, opportunity, and purpose.
- Become a better communicator, problem-solver, teammate, and leader.
Program Features Include…
- An innovative curriculum that combines leading-edge theory and practical techniques relating to core leadership capabilities such as team building and executive-level decision-making.
- An interdisciplinary approach that prepares graduates for leadership positions in for-profit, non-profit, and public sectors.
- Faculty with experience at top global organizations including Accenture, Bain & Company, IBM, NASA, McKinsey & Co., Microsoft, and World Bank.
- A highly supportive educational environment with accessible faculty, personalized feedback and learning options customized to your personal and professional needs, interests, and goals.
- Access to a wide variety of elective courses offered by IKNS and the other M.S. programs in the School of Professional Studies.
- An in-depth Capstone Project in which students apply their knowledge to help real for-profit and nonprofit organizations achieve better results.
- A diverse cohort and more than 300 IKNS program alumni at organizations like ADP, American Express, BCG, Google, Hilton Hotels, JPMorgan, Nike, Pfizer, Publicis, Thomson Reuters, United Nations, USAID, and World Bank.
- Access to Columbia University’s world-class resources, career guidance, and global alumni network.
The Master of Science in Information and Knowledge Strategy is a part-time, accelerated program combining campus intensives and online study delivered on a distance-learning platform where students participate in highly interactive weekly classes with their peers and faculty.
The program is framed by three in-person intensive study periods in New York City.
- Intensive study on Columbia’s campus gives students the opportunity to immerse themselves in classes and build a supportive network of their cohort, faculty, alumni, and leading practitioners in the field.
- Each of the intensives provides a curated set of frank conversations with thought leaders and practitioners, lectures, group discussions, projects, and professional development opportunities.
- Activities often include offsite tours and events. Because the intensives connect directly to the program’s other components, full participation is critical for degree completion.
Time Commitment and Expectations
This part-time program is designed for senior working professionals who are eager to apply what they learn to their profession for an immediate impact. Our most successful students employ good time-management practices to balance this program with the demands of their professional and personal lives. The coursework is rigorous and requires a firm commitment to weekly engagement in course meetings and assignments.
- Each required course outside of the intensive study periods meets online one night per week.
- Elective courses offered by IKNS meet generally online one night per week. Elective courses offered by other master’s programs in the School of Professional Studies may meet in person on Columbia's campus.
- For each course, students should allocate a minimum of 10 to 12 hours per week outside of class times during each term for readings, asynchronous online discussions, collaborative projects, and other assignments.
Who Should Apply?
- Leaders and decision-makers hungry to achieve positive change throughout their organizations.
- Mid-career professionals with demonstrated capacity for executive roles who want to develop the leadership skills and presence necessary to achieve their next major professional milestone.
- Experienced executives who seek not only premier credentialing but also exposure to diverse perspectives and leading-edge practices from peers and thought leaders outside their regular networks.
- Entrepreneurs and intrapreneurs with the drive and resourcefulness to transform ideas into actions.
- Knowledge management practitioners who want to expand their horizons and enrich their practical experience with a grounding in relevant research.
Connect with Us
Learn more about Information and Knowledge Strategy at Columbia University School of Professional Studies, or contact the program admissions counselor.Request more information
Study with Us
As admissions to our programs are highly competitive, we encourage you to apply as soon as possible. Learn more about the application process, deadlines, and requirements.Learn more