For International Students
Welcoming International Students
International students can complete the STEM-accredited IKNS degree as a full time student on an F-1 Visa.
As a student on an F-1 Visa, please read the University’s student visa application eligibility and requirements. Internship courses for CPT (Curricular Practical Training) are available as an IKNS elective to engage in company internships in the US during your course of study. The IKNS Master of Science degree is STEM-accredited, enabling you to automatically gain practical work experience in the US for up to 3 years following your degree (OPT).
Schedule and duration of study for F1-students
As a full time student, you will complete your degree in 16 months, starting at the end of August with the 1st Residency, and ending in the middle of the next December with the 3rd Residency. Over the summer, you can (but do not have to) enroll in electives and/or engage in an industry internship. You can customize your course selection to meet the in person course requirements for F-1 students: Electives courses you take in the fall and spring have to be in person. Elective courses in the summer (optional) can be either in person or online - your choice. The IKNS curriculum is structured such that you can meet the full time requirements while still taking advantage of the built-in flexibility. You schedule will look as follows:
- Fall 1: Two required courses (one hybrid, one online). Two electives (in person). Optional third elective (your choice whether online or in-person)
- Spring: Two required courses (one hybrid, one online). Two electives (in person). Optional third elective (your choice whether online or in-person)
- Summer [optional]: Up to two electives (your choice whether online or in-person)
- Fall 2: Two required courses (one hybrid, one online). Remaining electives, if any (in person)
- TOTAL: Six required courses (three hybrid, three online). Six electives (four of which must be in person)
- Help with finding housing/apartments
- ISSO: Columbia University International Student & Scholars Office
- ISSO useful videos
- Student visa application eligibility and requirements
- US Work Authorization: Information on Optional Practical Training
- Get a head-start to prepare for internships in the US with Columbia's Career and Communication Accelerator
- Hone your English skills over the summer: Columbia American Language Program (ALP)
- Student Financial Services (Columbia-wide)
- Financial Resources (School of Professional Studies)
- Select external scholarships (specific to IKNS)
- On-campus jobs and internships
- International Student Scholarships (links to external site)
We encourage you to apply as soon as possible.
Stay in the know with updates sent straight to your inbox.