English for Advanced Legal Studies
Available in Summer
This four-week intensive program has been designed in collaboration with Columbia Law School and is intended to prepare international LL.M candidates entering an accredited U.S. law school in the Fall for the demands of their graduate coursework.
This course will address all language skills, with emphasis on spoken interaction and basic legal vocabulary. Students will learn to speak more fluently, accurately, and intelligibly and thus be better equipped to participate actively and skillfully in their law school classes. They will also enhance their writing skills, practicing various formats typical of graduate legal study.
The Program will Include:
- Multi-skill language instruction in a legal context
- Lectures by legal professionals and/or law professors
- Private meetings with judges and/or assistant district attorneys
- Participate actively in discussions, debates, & simulations
- Deliver impromptu speeches and prepared presentations on legal matters
- Receive extensive feedback on their oral and written skills
- Learn common legal vocabulary and collocations as well as key legal concepts
- Take notes on live law-themed lectures and talks
- Become familiar with common law school practices such as cold calling
- Practice the IRAC method of academic legal writing
- Learn American email etiquette
- Receive targeted pronunciation help
Testimonials from participants:
"The course surpassed my expectations in every aspect. The progress achieved in 4 weeks is simply incredible...I cannot imagine any other place where I could get this experience."
Having a chance to visit the impressive U.S. Court of Appeals and hear an insightful lecture by the Honorable Denny Chin was one of my many precious moments in the EALS course"
"Apart from being interesting, the course significantly facilitated the transition to the L.LM."
The strength of this course is a synergy of studying English and studying law. This course focuses on acquiring the basic legal concepts in the U.S., but at the same time requires us to use English correctly and fluently and provides many opportunities for interaction.”
Blog posts from former participants of our course
Rachel, from the Dominican Republic, and Marlene, from Mexico both took the course and wrote blog posts describing their experiences. Click below for an inside perspective on what it's like to take English for Advanced Legal Studies.
Our aim is to enable students to truly thrive, not just survive, in the law school environment.”
Dates and Prices
Click on the box for full details.
Tuition and fees are subject to Board of Trustee approval and may change.
For a full explanation of fees, see below.
The program is open only to incoming LL.M. students at accredited U.S. law school who will start their studies in the fall.
Proof of fall admission must be provided at the time of application.
I-20 Note for Columbia University Law School Students: if you arrive in the US no earlier than 07/15 you can take EALS on your ISSO I-20. If you arrive before 07/15 you will need to apply for an ALP I-20 and we will transfer you to ISSO after you complete your summer course.
Ready to apply? Click this link:
Connect with Us
Learn more about American Language Program at Columbia University School or contact the program advisor.Request more information
Apply to the American Language Program
Apply now:Learn more