Listening and Speaking
This course helps students whose first language is not English develop their listening and speaking skills. The course covers:
- Presentation skills
- Spontaneous speech
- Using English informally and in social interactions
- Understanding main ideas & details and inferring meaning
- Cognitive ("thinking skills") and metacognitive ("thinking about your thinking") strategies for listening comprehension
- Strategies for effective note-taking
The course is thematic, meaning that you will explore different topics and themes through listening, and then speak about those subjects. The instructors will provide extensive feedback on grammar, vocabulary and pronunciation to help you improve your production and become more self-aware of your spoken errors.
3 points / 0 credit.
Meets morning or evenings twice per week.
Open only to students in ALP level 6 or higher. All new applicants must take the ALP's online placement test before admission.
This class will be taught remotely (online) in the Fall 2020 semester.
Dates and Prices
Tuition and fees are subject to Board of Trustee approval and may change.
For a full explanation of fees, see below.
- Completed online application form.
- Nonrefundable application fee: U.S. $150.00 for online applications, payable by credit card only. No application will be processed without this fee. Matriculated Columbia Students: there is no application fee for Matriculated Columbia Students.
Part-time courses do not qualify you for a student visa.
If you are currently living outside the U.S., you must have a student visa to enroll in the ALP. In order to qualify for the student visa, you must enroll in a full-time program (18 hours or more per week).
The tuition and fees quoted are for ALP registrants only. Those students registering through other divisions of Columbia will pay at the per-point rate of their home schools.
ALP points/credits information:
ALP is a non-degree, non-credit program. ALP classes and programs use points to bill students, not credits. See above for the number of points the class bills.
ALP Levels, Placement & Testing
Find out about our levels
Connect with Us
Learn more about American Language Program at Columbia University, or contact the program advisor.Request more information
Apply to the American Language Program
Learn more about the application process, deadlines, and requirements.Learn more