Skip navigation Jump to main navigation Jump to main navigation

New Health Guidance

The deadline to upload your booster documentation has been deferred to the end of May 2022. Masking is mandatory in the classroom until the end of the semester. Please ensure you have a green pass on the ReopenCU app. Upload your booster and learn more.
Close alert

Student Visa and Immigration Information

New Students

To apply for an I-20 for the ALP, go to our Apply for your Visa page

Returning students

If you have studied at the ALP in the past and would like to return for a new session, you can apply for your new I-20 here.

Electronically signed I-20s are now accepted, so your I-20 will be emailed to you. You can then print and sign it it yourself. However, if you need a physical copy sent to you, you can set up and pay for it by following these instructions

Just arrived in the U.S.?

Welcome! Now you need to report your first arrival:
Report your arrival

Enrolled Students

Here are links to forms you may need:

  • Just arrived? Report your first arrival in the U.S.:
    Report your arrival
  • Are you continuing into the next session? If your I-20 is expiring, then you need an extension:
    Extend your I-20
  • Did you move into a dorm, apartment, or house? The U.S. Government needs to know:
    Change of U.S. address
  • Do you have a spouse or child? They need to be added to your record:
    Add a new dependent
  • Are you going to a different school? You need to complete a transfer-out form:
    Transfer-out request

Guidelines for Maintaining your Visa Status

The following guidelines are designed to help you understand the rules and regulations regarding maintaining your student status.

The ALP can only issue an I-20 for full-time ESL study. An ALP student can take other classes, but the basis for their I-20 and F-1 visa status is full-time ESL study.

Immigration Advising

To get advice on your status and for help getting and maintaining your F-1 visa, email us at alpvisa [[at]] columbia [[dot]] edu or visit us in 504 Lewisohn Hall