English for Professional Purposes: Business
A 3-week high-level intensive course for business professionals, pre-MBA students or those taking any other business-related Masters program. Begins in late July.
- Improve your business English at an Ivy League University
- Build your confidence in business presentations and business writing
- Get ready for your MBA or other business-related Masters degree
- Up your game in the global marketplace
Classes explore language study through business content. Students will receive detailed instruction and individualized feedback.
Course curriculum includes:
- Examination and discussion of case studies
- Current business trends
- Elevator pitches
- Summarizing and critiquing articles
- Writing business communications
- Networking skills
- SWOT analyses
- Guest lectures from business professionals
- Assignments requiring research, teamwork, and business writing: case analysis, proposals, reports
- Language skills, vocabulary, and grammatical structures useful for business.
The program provides the opportunity for students to meet and network with people from different areas of the world, including other ALP and SPS students.
Students in the program have access to Columbia University facilities.
Dates and Prices
Tuition and fees are subject to Board of Trustee approval and may change.
For a full explanation of fees, see below.
Current ALP students must have reached ALP level 7 to be considered for admission.
New students must submit a minimum TOEFL score of 85 (iBT) with minimum of 21 in both writing and speaking, or 6.5 IELTS with a minimum of 6.0 in both writing and speaking.
If you do not have a TOEFL or IELTS score, but have another qualification (for example, Cambridge CAE), the ALP will happily review it. In some cases the ALP will also conduct its own language assessment in order to determine admission for otherwise qualified/interested candidates.
Students must hold a bachelor's degree.
Applicants must apply online. Only applications submitted from the ALP Web site are accepted.
- Completed online application form.
- Nonrefundable application fee: U.S. $150.00 for online applications + $1,000.00 tuition deposit, payable by credit card only. No application will be processed without this fee.
- All applicants must have a previous or current placement in level 7 or higher at the American Language Program and submit a recent official copy of a TOEFL score of at least 85 (iBT) or 6.5 (IELTS) or 67 (PTE). To submit your official TOEFL score, please request that ETS send your TOEFL score report directly to the ALP admissions office, using DI Code: 2594, "Undergrad."
In general, an F-1 (student visa) is required for study in the US. International applicants are required to request an I-20 in order to obtain the F-1 visa and must enroll in a full-time program (18 hours or more per week).
If you are already holding an F-1 visa and attending another school you must also transfer your SEVIS record from your current school to the ALP. Please speak to your Advisor at your current school.
To receive an I-20, please upload your ALP admission letter with the following documents (see below) to the online I-20 application page (Compass). You will receive your admission letter and I-20 instructions after you are admitted to the program.
- Bank statement: this document must be in English and dated within the last three months. It must be from a checking or savings account and must show sufficient available funds to pay the estimated tuition, fees and living expenses.
• To see required balance for I-20, please see the "Total" amount for your program, above.
- Sponsor letter: the letter must be in English and dated within the last three months. It must also be signed by the sponsor. If you are sending your own bank statement you are not required to submit a sponsor letter. The sponsor letter is necessary only if a bank statement will be submitted on your behalf by another person. The person whose bank statement you will submit is your sponsor.
Your sponsor must submit a letter (sponsor letter) stating that s/he will provide you with full financial support during the period of your study in the ALP. The sponsor letter must be in English and dated within the last three months. It must also be signed by the sponsor.
- Photocopy of your passport’s identification page.
• The page in your passport that shows your photograph, your name and your date of birth.
Once your completed application and accompanying materials and fees have been received and processed, you will receive a US government I-20 A-B form. Bring the I-20 A-B form, along with your letter of acceptance and original financial documents, to a US embassy or consulate in your country to apply for a student (F-1) visa
ALP Levels, Placement & Testing
Find out about our levels
Connect with Us
Learn more about American Language Program at Columbia University School of Professional Studies, or contact the program advisor.Request more information
Apply to the American Language Program
Learn more about the application process, deadlines, and requirements.Learn more