English for Professional Purposes: Business
A 3-week high-level intensive course for business professionals, pre-MBA students or those taking any other business-related Masters program. Begins in late July.
- Improve your business English at an Ivy League University
- Build your confidence in business presentations and business writing
- Get ready for your MBA or other business-related Masters degree
- Up your game in the global marketplace
Classes explore language study through business content. Students will receive detailed instruction and individualized feedback.
Course curriculum includes:
- Examination and discussion of case studies
- Current business trends
- Elevator pitches
- Summarizing and critiquing articles
- Writing business communications
- Networking skills
- SWOT analyses
- Guest lectures from business professionals
- Assignments requiring research, teamwork, and business writing: case analysis, proposals, reports
- Language skills, vocabulary, and grammatical structures useful for business.
The program provides the opportunity for students to meet and network with people from different areas of the world, including other ALP and SPS students.
Students in the program have access to Columbia University facilities.
Dates and Prices
Click on the box for full details.
Tuition and fees are subject to Board of Trustee approval and may change.
For a full explanation of fees, see below.
Applicants must submit a minimum TOEFL score of 85 iBT with minimum of 21 in both writing and speaking, 6.5 IELTS with a minimum of 6.0 in both writing and speaking, or or 169 Cambridge English B2 First, C1 Advanced or C2 Proficiency with a minimum of 162 in both writing and speaking.
If you do not have a TOEFL, IELTS or Cambridge score but have another qualification, the ALP will happily review it. In some cases the ALP will also conduct its own language assessment in order to determine admission for otherwise qualified/interested candidates.
Students also must hold a bachelor's degree.
Current ALP students must have reached ALP level 7.
Ready to apply? Click this link:
ALP Levels, Placement & Testing
Find out about our levels
Connect with Us
Learn more about American Language Program at Columbia University School of Professional Studies, or contact the program advisor.Request more information
Apply to the American Language Program
Apply now.Learn more