Apply for your Student Visa
Most students at the ALP need an F-1 visa. To get your F-1, you need an I-20 form from Columbia.
After the ALP admits you, you can begin your application for the I-20.
Here is what you need to apply:
- ALP admission letter
- Permanent address (your address in your home country)
- Financial documents (bank statement)
The bank statement must be in English and be issued in the last three months. It must be from a checking or savings account and must show that you have enough money to cover your studies.
Please see the Program page to check how much money is necessary for your program.
If another person will pay for you (example: family member or friend), they will provide the bank statement and must provide a Sponsor Letter.
If you request an I-20 for your dependents (a spouse or children), the bank statement, or sponsorship letter, must include the following living expenses $1,000 per month per spouse, and/or $500 per month per child.
- Copy of your passport’s identification page (the page in your passport that shows your photograph, your name, and your date of birth).
Receiving your I-20 from the ALP
Your I-20 will be emailed to you. You must print and sign it before your visa appointment, and show it with your passport when you arrive in the US.
- If you already have an F-1 visa and are attending another school, you must transfer your SEVIS record to the ALP. An advisor at your current school can help you with this.
- You will need the ALP's SEVIS School code: NYC214F00186001
- You do not need a transfer form. You just need the ALP SEVIS School code and an ALP admission letter.
Ready to Apply?
Forms for Current ALP Students
Here are links to common processes for F-1 students:
- Just arrived? Welcome! Now you need to report your first arrival in the U.S.:
Report your arrival
- Are you continuing into the next session? If your I-20 is expiring, then you need an extension:
Extend your I-20
- Did you move into a dorm, apartment, or house? The U.S. Government needs to know:
Change of U.S. address
- Do you have a spouse or child? They need to be added to your record:
Add a new dependent
- Are you going to a different school? You need to complete a transfer-out form:
To get advice on your status and for help getting and maintaining your F-1 visa:
email us at alpvisa [[at]] columbia [[dot]] edu
visit us in 504 Lewisohn Hall or at Armstrong Hall (we advise making an appointment first)