Master of Science in Nonprofit Management
Columbia’s Master of Science in Nonprofit Management prepares graduates for leadership roles within mission-driven organizations in a wide variety of contexts, including global and community nonprofits, foundations, higher education, healthcare, the arts, or as in-demand fundraising and development experts. Students complete the full-time option primarily on Columbia’s New York City campus. The program takes one year to complete. Only fall entry is available for full-time on-campus students.
At a Glance
In This Master’s Program, You Will…
- Learn how to manage, scale, and sustain organizations across sectors, grounded in the unique challenges and opportunities for nonprofit organizations and stakeholders.
- Attain leading-edge management skills to make strategic, high-level and cross-functional decisions.
- Explore current issues and strategies in public-private partnerships, nonprofit policy and law, digital communications, business aspects of nonprofit organizations, international management, and social entrepreneurship, along with innovations in philanthropy.
- Pursue an area of focus to enhance your expertise on topics that matter most to you, including fundraising and development, international management and perspectives, or philanthropy.
- Create and implement technology and digital media strategies to inform, measure and amplify impact.
- Select from elective courses across the full breadth of Columbia’s highly regarded schools and programs.
- Access professional development opportunities and guidance from our many experienced faculty to accelerate your career.
- Join Columbia’s global network, with full and lifelong access to Columbia’s world class resources, faculty, and alumni.
Program Features Include…
- An innovative curriculum taught by distinguished scholar-practitioners who are experts in their fields.
- An emphasis across the curriculum on public-private partnerships, cutting-edge technology, ethics, and international aspects of the field.
- A highly flexible format in which students can move between in-person and online learning modalities.
- An in-depth Capstone Project wherein each student partners with an actual 501c3 to solve real-world challenges facing the organization and the sector.
- Access to the mission-driven community locally, nationally, and globally, including the thriving international nonprofit community based in New York City.
- Faculty and alumni who are connected to a wide variety of nonprofit organizations and provide academic and career advisement as well as opportunities for networking and employment.
Who Should Apply?
- Experienced nonprofit professionals who want to pursue roles with increased executive responsibilities.
- Career changers and new professionals who want to start applying their skills and ultimately pursue senior development and executive leadership positions in the nonprofit sector.
Connect with Us
Learn more about Nonprofit Management at Columbia University School of Professional Studies, or contact the program admissions counselor.Request more information
Study with Us
As admissions to our programs are highly competitive, we encourage you to apply as soon as possible. Learn more about the application process, deadlines, and requirements.Learn more