The insurance industry is experiencing rapid expansion and change, yielding limitless opportunities across a diverse field.
A Talent Gap and a Growth Industry
of insurance organizations see the limited availability of talent as a key organizational threat.
new insurance jobs will be created in the next 3 years.
Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics
Columbia University’s Master’s in Insurance Management builds and strengthens leaders and entrepreneurs across multiple insurance disciplines, including underwriting, claims, finance, analytics, distribution, and management, cultivating the ability to impact the industry from day one.
- Faculty who are industry leaders and practitioners
- Real-world interaction, experience, and application tackling pressing issues confronting the field
- A prime location geographically central to the capital of the global insurance and financial service industries
- High-profile guest lecturers from across the industry
- Internship and mentorship opportunities with prominent companies
- Build knowledge and capability across insurance’s diverse disciplines, including underwriting, actuarial, risk, finance, corporate, regulations, marketing and distribution, and claims
- Develop and enhance skills to assess problems and propose solutions with technology and analytics
- Acquire a holistic perspective to the industry, recognizing and evaluating the external and internal impact that regulations, environment, and functions have on insurance organizations
- Gain expertise in communication, leadership, and management
- Build experience to transition into a growth industry at the ground level
The program is organized around required core courses that bring together two primary subject areas: Understanding the Corporate Environment and Managing Change; elective courses to focus study in an area of interest; and a Capstone Project, for which students will develop an insurance product or distribution implementation plan for a client.
Core Subject Areas
- Product, Pricing, and Distribution
- Claims Management
- Technology and Analytics
- Insurance Finance
- Communication for Insurance Professionals
- Regulations and Law in Insurance
- Leading Alignment and Agility
Elective Subject Areas
- Advanced Reinsurance
- Capital Management and Investments
- International Insurance
- Quantitative Risk Management
- Enterprise Risk Management