Master of Professional Studies in Insurance Management
The Master of Professional Studies in Insurance Management is for early-to-mid career professionals who want to accelerate their advancement to leadership positions in the industry. It can accommodate both professionals already working in insurance and those looking to make a career change. The program is part-time, online, and asynchronous to accommodate working professionals. It consists of 10 required courses taken over four consecutive semesters (approximately 16 months, total, including a summer session) and two in-person residencies to begin and conclude the program. Only fall entry is available.
At a Glance
In This Master’s Program, You Will…
- Develop broad expertise in the global insurance industry that will prepare you for leadership positions.
- Understand the cross-functionalities of an insurance enterprise, the keys to profitable underwriting and claims control, the importance of maintaining compliance standards, and how to satisfy the interests of stakeholders.
- Recognize how government regulation, social interests, and other external factors influence business decisions.
- Apply critical and analytical thinking to the executive decision-making process and prioritize among different disciplines.
- Receive one-on-one mentoring from program faculty and staff, who are top experts in the field
- Learn how to leverage data and technology advancements to enhance and improve traditional business methodologies.
- Learn how to identify new market opportunities to drive enterprise growth.
- Develop and deliver strategies that align with the needs of insurance organizations operating in an increasingly complex business environment.
- Apply what you learn to formulate your personal path to career success.
Program Features Include...
- An elite, cutting-edge curriculum that integrates emerging issues with a situation- and problem-based learning structure.
- A preeminent scholar-practitioner faculty that includes seasoned insurance industry leaders who incorporate their multidisciplinary insights and real-world experiences.
- A part-time, easy-to-follow online course of study ideal for working professionals. The online coursework is supplemented by two in-person sessions to connect students with their peers, faculty, guest speakers, and other thought leaders for networking and collaboration.
- Exclusive access to a robust professional network of corporate insurance partners, thought leaders, faculty, and peers, as well as career development services and professional development opportunities.
- A collegial, supportive environment and strong peer network cultivated by the program’s cohort structure.
- An Applied Research Project that empowers students to select a real-world business challenge and develop strategies for implementing responsive product or service solutions.
Who Should Apply?
- Insurance Professionals: Insurance professionals with 5+ years of experience in insurance seeking career advancement
- Career Changers: Professionals with 5+ years of relevant work experience who want to pursue a managerial role in the insurance industry
- Third-Party Service Providers: Professionals with 5+ years of experience at third-party service providers including consulting, accounting, and law firms
- The ideal candidates for this program include: Senior Underwriter, Account Manager, Assistant Underwriting Manager, Product Specialist, Underwriting Quality Review Auditor, Operations Manager/Leader, Assistant General Counsel, Business Development/Relationship Manager, IT/Business Analyst, Actuary, Claims Manager, Account Executive/Client Executive, Producer, and Placement Manager.
- Technology and Data Analytics
- Insurance Risk Management
- The Role of Finance in Insurance
- Emerging Risk and Insurance Topics
Entrance into the Insurance Management program includes access to the Career Design Lab, a hub that connects students with the resources and relationships to pursue meaningful work.
Equipped with knowledge, skills and Columbia’s extensive network, graduates will have a competitive advantage for advancement. The program prepares graduates for leadership roles at insurance companies, brokerages, and agencies, or consulting and insurtech firms.
Connect with Us
Learn more about Insurance Management at Columbia University School of Professional Studies, or contact the program admissions counselor.Request more information
Study with Us
As admissions to our program are highly competitive, we encourage you to apply as soon as possible. Learn more about the application process, deadlines, and requirements.Learn more