The Columbia University Master's in Insurance Management equips a new generation of professionals to lead insurance businesses with advanced industry knowledge, strategic and operational expertise, and the skills to champion new ideas.Apply Now
Ensure the Future
Master's in Insurance Management
Part-Time | Online | 16 Months | On-Demand Learning
The only master's degree of its kind
The insurance industry is undergoing an accelerated rate of change. Embracing the use of data and technological advancements has enabled insurers and their partners to provide products and services that are increasingly customer-centric. At the same time, innovation is challenging traditional business practices with competitive new players, and the heightened expectations of insureds, investors and other stakeholders from corporate decisions are making the management of insurance enterprises more complex.
The proactive leadership and administration of an insurance business in today’s dynamic environment requires a holistic understanding of the interdisciplinary relationships between key business units and the foresight to implement timely advancements. The ability to be forward-thinking, apply emotional intelligence, and convey thought leadership will help insurance professionals distinguish themselves and their companies. This program provides students the opportunity to refine these skills, incubate new ideas, and expand their professional network while they receive instruction and mentorship from a team of respected industry professionals who are committed to sharing their knowledge and experience.
This 16-month part-time program is specially designed to blend on-demand online instruction with flexible peer and faculty interaction to accommodate working professionals. Its comprehensive problem-based learning structure prepares students to apply what they learn today in the office tomorrow. Ensure the future of insurance—engage our academic and professional network through Columbia University’s Insurance Management master’s program, the only program of its kind in the Ivy League.
Who Should Apply?
- Insurance/Reinsurance Professionals and Entrepreneurs: those seeking enrichment, advancement, and entrepreneurial opportunity in the insurance industry, including Insurtech innovators
- Career and Industry Changers: those seeking to apply related subject matter expertise to professional, managerial, and leadership roles in insurance
- Members of the Insurance Ecosystem: including, risk managers, third-party service providers, collaborators, innovators, investors, bankers, lawyers, consultants.
- Professionals who have had a role in the insurance or other relatable industry, or who hold positions as:
Underwriter, Senior Underwriter, Underwriting Manager, Product Specialist, Underwriting Quality Review Auditor, Operations Analyst, Operations Manager, Assistant General Counsel, Business Development/ Relationship Manager, Distribution Marketing/Communications Manager, IT/Business Analyst, Actuary, Claims Adjuster, Claims Specialist, Claims Manager, Account Executive/Client Executive, Producer, Broker, Placement Manager, and Consultant
|Program Option||Course Formats||Time Commitment|
|Master of Professional Studies (part‑time)||
Online asynchronous instruction
Four consecutive terms
Applied research project
Two in-person residencies*
At a Glance
The Master of Professional Studies in Insurance Management is for career professionals who want to accelerate their advancement to leadership positions or broaden their expertise in the industry. It accommodates both professionals already working in insurance and those looking to make a career change. The program is part-time, online, and instruction is asynchronous to accommodate working professionals. It consists of 10 required courses taken over four consecutive semesters (approximately 16 months, total, including a summer session), and two on-campus, in-person residencies, to the extent possible, prior to the start of and at the conclusion of the program. Only fall entry is available.
Upon completion of this program, students will be equipped to:
- Lead decision-making by applying broad knowledge and holistic understanding of the inter-disciplinary functions within insurance companies.
- Leverage data and technology advancements to meet the demand for digital procurement and client-centric insurance.
- Implement strategic and tactical plans to drive business growth, expand into new markets, and build relationships in insurance and other business ecosystems.
- Champion corporate initiatives to meet environmental, social, and governance goals.
- Translate market trends and issues into impactful business opportunities and solutions.
Program features include:
- An elite, cutting-edge curriculum that integrates emerging issues with a situation- and problem-based learning structure.
- A preeminent scholar-practitioner faculty that includes seasoned insurance industry leaders who incorporate their multidisciplinary insights and real-world experiences.
- A part-time, easy-to-follow online course of study ideal for working professionals. The online coursework is supplemented by two in-person sessions to connect students with their peers, faculty, guest speakers, and other thought leaders for networking and collaboration.
- Exclusive access to a robust professional network of corporate insurance partners, thought leaders, faculty, and peers, as well as career development services and professional development opportunities.
- A collegial, supportive environment and strong peer network cultivated by the program’s cohort structure.
- An Applied Research Project that empowers students to select a real-world business challenge and develop strategies for implementing responsive product or service solutions.
- AI, Data and Technology in Insurance
- Insurance Risk Management
- The Role of Finance in Insurance
- Emerging Risk and Insurance Topics
- View All Courses
Entrance into the Insurance Management program includes access to the Career Design Lab, a hub that connects students with the resources and relationships to pursue meaningful work.
Equipped with knowledge, skills and Columbia’s extensive network, graduates will have a competitive advantage for advancement. The program prepares graduates for leadership roles at insurance companies, brokerages, and agencies, or consulting and insurtech firms.
Connect with Us
Learn more about Insurance Management at Columbia University School of Professional Studies, or contact the program admissions counselor.Request more information
Study with Us
As admissions to our program are highly competitive, we encourage you to apply as soon as possible. Learn more about the application process, deadlines, and requirements.Learn more