Master of Science in Sports Management
Columbia University is the top-ranked university in the world offering a graduate sports management program. Columbia University’s Master of Science in Sports Management features a leading-edge, market-driven curriculum along with unparalleled access to sports industry leaders and experts. For the part-time option, students take courses on Columbia’s New York City campus. The program takes up to 4 years to complete, and fall or spring entry is permitted.
At a Glance
In This Master’s Program, You Will…
- Acquire leading-edge, market-driven strategies and skills in areas including digital sports media, sports analytics, business intelligence, sports entrepreneurship and innovation, global sports management, sports marketing, finance, sponsorship sales and activation, negotiations, facility and event management, sports law and ethics, and intercollegiate athletics.
- Learn from successful industry practitioners and leaders in all areas of sports business.
- Gain practical knowledge and training with sports organizations such as the NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, FC Bayern Munich, LaLiga, Real Madrid, and many others.
- Join an elite network of peers, industry experts, and graduates working in leadership positions across the global sports ecosystem.
- Receive continued resources after graduation, such as career coaching and networking opportunities to support your ongoing professional development.
- Expand your network through direct access to industry events, gatherings, panels, and speakers, drawing on the abundant resources of our faculty, Columbia University, and New York City.
Program Features Include…
- A dynamic, best-in-class curriculum covering all aspects of the sports business universe with leading-edge content that captures current market dynamics and anticipates future trends.
- An esteemed faculty including industry thought leaders, experts, and current practitioners associated with many of the biggest brands in sports.
- Top academic partnerships, including CSM LeadDog, Opta Sports, FC Bayern Munich, La Liga North America, Luker on Trends, Real Madrid University, and the Aspen Institute, which offer students valuable knowledge and training for what lies ahead in sports management.
- A sophisticated professional development and coaching process, which cultivates leadership skills along with writing and presentation skills tailored to success in the sports industry.
- A supportive, collaborative environment in which students, faculty, staff, alumni, and partners work together to expand their knowledge base and create a lasting impact in the sports industry.
Who Should Apply?
- Young professionals who aspire to have a career in sports.
- Current sports professionals who want to enhance their skill set and advance their careers.
- Career-changing professionals who want to transition to a sports career.
Our graduates work for the largest and most important sports businesses across the globe, including professional sports teams and leagues, intercollegiate athletics, the Olympics, sports marketing agencies, and sports media companies. Graduates earn among the highest average salary three years post graduation of any sports management program in the world. You can hear more from alumni in the Featured Students, Alumni & Faculty section.
The Columbia University Sports Management Podcast
On the Columbia University Sports Management Podcast ('The CUSP Show'), faculty members Joe Favorito and Tom Richardson host thought leaders from across the sports industry as they discuss a wide array of topics. Produced by the Columbia University Sports Management program's staff, The CUSP Show can be heard here.
Speak with the Program
Learn more about Sports Management at Columbia University's School of Professional Studies, or contact the program admissions counselor.Request more information
Study with Us
As admission to our program is highly competitive, we encourage you to apply as soon as possible. Learn more about the application process, deadlines, and requirements.Learn more