Master of Science in Strategic Communication: Executive Path
Executive Hybrid Path
The Master of Science in Strategic Communication: Executive Path is a 16-month graduate program designed to elevate the skills and knowledge base of experienced communication professionals and for those in leadership positions across industries.
The accelerated format of the part-time, hybrid coursework is ideal for executives who are working full-time and who may be based in or outside the New York metropolitan area.
Students start in the fall and complete the program the following fall, taking most courses and intensives online during evenings and weekends. Twice per semester, they convene as a cohort on Columbia's campus in New York City for intensives that feature guest lectures, networking, group projects, and co-curricular activities.
At a Glance
In This Master’s Program, You Will…
- Focus on the critical thinking, analysis, and practical skills essential to developing and implementing communication strategies that advance an organization’s goals and mission.
- Become more familiar with the psychological and social underpinnings of communication and how to use communication tools in an integrated, strategic way.
- Develop effective communication strategies and thinking habits that will allow you to offer strategic counsel to any organization.
- Complete an in-depth Capstone Project in which you will apply your learnings to a real-life communication problem and demonstrate mastery of strategic communication.
Program Features Include…
- A distinguished faculty of communication leaders who are expert teachers as well as practicing professionals.
- A dynamic curriculum and course of study that includes multi-day intensive studies, weekend classes, and online activities and engagement.
- Access to elective classes in other School of Professional Studies programs and elsewhere at Columbia, aligning your path of study with specific interests and objectives.
- A personal, high touch, curated academic experience featuring small class sizes, and individualized feedback.
- Access to Columbia’s resources, career guidance, global alumni network, and location in the communications capital of the world.
- A far-reaching network including a tight-knit cohort, Columbia’s extraordinary community of scholars, faculty practitioners, industry leaders, and more than 600 program alumni who hold pivotal roles in branding, nonprofit, strategy, and consulting organizations.
Executive M.S. in Strategic Communication graduates work for organizations such as Viacom, Bloomberg, Girl Scouts of America, and Starwood Hotels, and in industry sectors including advertising, public relations, strategy, digital media, financial services, healthcare, pharmaceutical, entertainment, media, government, and nonprofit. They hold positions as diverse as Chief Strategy Officer, Director of Corporate Communications, Development and Communications Director, and Vice President - Internal Communications.
Who Should Apply?
The Master of Science in Strategic Communication: Executive Path seeks high-potential applicants who have clearly established their leadership potential and who can demonstrate a strong record of professional achievement.
Applicants will currently be in a communication role with management and/or leadership responsibilities, typically Director level or above, and have six or more years of relevant experience. Applicants in leadership roles for whom communication is a critical competency will be considered and often accepted. Because the student mix within the cohort is a critical value of the program, we look carefully at representing diverse industries and experiences within every incoming class.
Connect with Us
Learn more about Strategic Communication at Columbia University School of Professional Studies, or contact the program admissions counselor.Request more information
Study with Us
As admissions to our program is highly competitive, we encourage you to apply as soon as possible. Learn more about the application process, deadlines, and requirements.Learn more