Career & Communication Accelerator
Realize your full potential in the U.S. job market.
Collaboratively designed and taught by Columbia University’s American Language Program and Career Design Lab, the Career & Communication Accelerator prepares graduate students to gain a competitive edge in the U.S. job market through a combination of advanced English language instruction and professional communication skills.
Language is one of the most valuable and universal forms of currency in today’s global economy. For more than 100 years, students from around the world have come to Columbia University to develop English fluency – and to unlock an expansive world of career opportunities. Open to admitted Columbia University graduate students, the Career & Communication Accelerator course is designed to help students whose first language is not English to prepare to enter a highly-competitive job market and to achieve long-term success in the U.S. workplace through practical, real-world exercises and lessons.
With instruction and guidance from career experts from Columbia University’s Career Design Lab, students will build a professional portfolio of job application materials so they will be ready to engage with hiring managers and talent acquisition leaders right away–just in time for the recruitment period for the top Summer 2023 internships. At the end of the course, students will receive a Certificate of Completion and LinkedIn Badge. Learn more by watching the welcome video.
The course registration deadline is May 20, 2022. This course is open only to Columbia University graduate students whose first language is not English. (Newly admitted SPS students who are required to take the ALP's summer Advanced Academic English for Graduate Students course must enroll in that course.)
Hands-On Practice & Real-World Application
- create a “professional portfolio” with job application materials for the U.S. market
- improve accuracy and appropriateness in written professional correspondence
- craft, review, and revise a resume, cover letter, and letter of inquiry
- build fluency, intelligibility, and confidence in speaking during U.S.-based job interviews, career fairs, networking events, and industry conferences
- practice and refine interview answers and personal pitches
- practice networking and small talk
- learn to leverage professional career tools
Personalized Career Guidance
Participants will benefit from:
- regular small group / 1:1 coaching sessions from course instructors
- feedback and guidance from a CDL Career Coach
- guest speakers including corporate leaders, industry experts, career development authorities, and Columbia University faculty
- access to a career toolbox with premium subscriptions
See how the Career & Communication Accelerator course prepares you to realize your full potential in the U.S. job market.
Connect with Us
Schedule an Appointment
If you would like to discuss your interest in greater detail, you can schedule a Zoom or phone appointment with David Taylor-Tumilty, Senior Admissions Counselor.
10:00 a.m.– 4:00 p.m. ET, Monday–Friday
Reserve Your Spot
This course is open to Columbia University graduate students whose first language is not English and who are not required to take the ALP's summer Advanced Academic English for Graduate Students course.