Online Certification of Professional Achievement in Narrative Medicine
Narrative medicine is an interdisciplinary field that brings powerful narrative skills of radical listening and creativity from the humanities and the arts to address the needs of all who seek and deliver healthcare. Narrative medicine enables patients and caregivers to voice their experience, to be heard, to be recognized, and to be valued, improving the delivery of healthcare.
The non-degree, online Certification of Professional Achievement in Narrative Medicine prepares health professionals, writers, and scholars to apply the skills and values of narrative understanding to improve outcomes for both patients and caregivers.
- The program is developed specifically for students who seek ways to bring narrative methods into their current careers.
- The curriculum introduces students to the principles and practice of narrative medicine through rigorous courses that promote intellectual growth, interpersonal relationships, and personal insight. Students will practice designing and evaluating narrative training interventions in clinical settings.
- Those who complete the Certification Program gain the equivalent of six elective credits toward the Master of Science in Narrative Medicine, should they elect to continue their studies.
- Taught by Columbia University Narrative Medicine faculty, each course combines multimedia presentations, weekly discussions, and collaborative activities to build skills in the clinical and personal aspects of narrative medicine.
- Offered part-time for working professionals, the Certification of Professional Achievement in Narrative Medicine is a fully asynchronous online program. Students have the flexibility of accessing course materials, lectures, and assignments each week during times that fit their schedule. Students interact in discussion groups and forums, and participate in collaborative and independent coursework.
- Students are required to participate in a non-credit Narrative Medicine workshop at some point during the program.
- Students have access to world-class Columbia faculty as well as career and professional development resources to advance their personal and professional goals.
Upon Completion, You Will...
- Be positioned to champion narrative medicine in medical schools and hospitals.
- Be prepared to evaluate and expand the impact of narrative medicine programs on clinical practice and quality of care.
- Become a member of the international Columbia narrative medicine community, committed to setting and upholding rigorous intellectual, clinical, and research standards to move the field forward.
Who Should Apply?
- Healthcare trainees in all clinical disciplines.
- Professionals who work in healthcare.
- Those who work in literature, writing and health journalism, oral history, social justice, and medical anthropology, who want to understand illness and disability to advance their own education or help teach healthcare professionals.
Connect with Us
Learn more about Narrative Medicine at Columbia University School of Professional Studies, or contact the program admissions counselor.Request more information
Study with Us
As admissions to our programs are highly competitive, we encourage you to apply as soon as possible. Learn more about the application process, deadlines, and requirements.Learn more