One of the newest schools at Columbia, the School of Professional Studies (SPS) specializes in innovative academic instruction that reflects market demand and helps professionals get to the next level in their careers.
In fall 2020, SPS launched the Master of Professional Studies (M.P.S.) in Insurance Management program to equip a new generation of professionals to lead insurance businesses with advanced industry knowledge, strategic and operational expertise, and the skills to champion new ideas. The M.P.S. is specially designed to accommodate full-time working professionals; it’s part-time and asynchronous, takes as little as 16 months to complete, and utilizes an online Learning Management System.
Features of the M.P.S. in Insurance Management include:
- Online asynchronous instruction. This enables students to complete coursework—weekly assignments and short video lectures—on their own time. Assignments are typically due between the middle and the end of the week.
- Part-time commitment. Most students are full-time professionals; they usually take two to three courses each semester on a part-time basis or six to ten hours per week per course. It takes 16 months to earn the degree.
- Problem-based learning (PBL) assignments, which connect advanced theory with practical applications. Students often collaborate to create solutions to real-world challenges and opportunities. Through this learning process, students acquire the skills and knowledge that lead to meaningful contributions to their employers’ goals and have an immediate impact on their industry.
- Real-time engagement—online and in-person, when available. This includes faculty office hours, coffee chats, and access to more than 30 student organizations and professional associations.
- Scholar-practitioner faculty who design and teach all courses in the program, drawing on their extensive real-world experiences and insights.
- Residencies on Columbia’s campus in New York City. At the start and end of the program, students convene with classmates, faculty members, and guests in related industries to exchange ideas, learn more about Columbia’s resources, and build relationships. Residencies typically last three days.
About the Program
A 16-month online program with asynchronous instruction, specially designed to accommodate working professionals, Columbia University Master's in Insurance Management equips a new generation of professionals to lead insurance businesses with advanced industry knowledge, strategic and operational expertise, and the skills to champion new ideas.
The final application deadline for fall 2023 enrollment is June 15. Students who have international transcripts are encouraged to apply by March 15. Learn more.