Master of Science in Actuarial Science
The Master of Science in Actuarial Science equips students with the tools, skills, and knowledge to excel in today’s rapidly evolving actuarial workplaces, with a course of study that anticipates and exceeds industry needs. For the full-time option, students take courses on Columbia’s New York City campus. The program takes 18 months to complete and is offered across three consecutive semesters beginning every fall. This course of study covers main actuarial paths and prepares students for the associate actuarial examinations of SOA and CAS.
At a Glance
In the Master’s Program, You Will…
- Gain access to a powerful global network of 160-plus organizations, including AXA, Deloitte, Ernst & Young, Guy Carpenter, MetLife, Milliman, New York Life, Oliver Wyman, Prudential, PWC, RGA, TransAmerica, and Willis Towers Watson, that provide employment opportunities to students and alumni, participate in the Proseminar lectures and networking series, and take part in annual events including Columbia Actuarial Science Career Days and Career Fairs.
- Be welcomed into a large Columbia alumni actuarial community who mentor and hire current students.
- Benefit from an academically rigorous curriculum that exceeds and anticipates industry needs to train and prepare actuarial leaders today and into the future.
- Learn from top academics and practitioners in actuarial, finance, and risk management, including leading Wall Street practitioners and fellows of Society of Actuaries (SOA) and Casualty Actuarial Society (CAS).
- Receive innovative interdisciplinary training drawing on faculty and coursework from Columbia University’s Departments of Statistics, Industrial Engineering and Operations Research, Mathematics, Economics, and the Columbia Business School.
- Become a mentee of an industry leader/practitioner who will directly oversee a project/presentation and provide guidance, feedback, and support.
Program Features Include…
- Participation from nearly 200 industry leaders, potential employers, and alumni including CEOs, CFOs, Chief Risk Officers, and leaders from Society of Actuaries (SOA) and Casualty Actuarial Society (CAS), who interact directly with students through courses, special events, and other networking opportunities.
- A leading-edge curriculum that includes predictive modeling, data science, machine learning, risk management, and financial markets and investments, in addition to a solid actuarial foundation.
- A course of study that covers main actuarial paths and prepares students for the associate actuarial examinations of SOA and CAS.
- Core courses taught by actuaries and analytical professionals who have Ph.D.s and 15+ years of industry experience. Most also have SOA and CAS designations.
- Oversight from the Actuarial Science Academic Committee, led by Columbia’s Statistics Department chair and steered by professors from the Statistics and Engineering Departments, which guides the program’s curriculum and faculty recruitment.
- Professional and career development resources and courses to build leadership, presentation, and communication skills.
- A setting in the heart of the financial/actuarial capital of the world (New York City) that provides access to the world’s foremost practitioners and industry leaders.
- A supportive, familial, and fun environment in which students, faculty, and alumni build lifelong connections.
Curricular Design Strategy
Who Should Apply?
- Recent college graduates with a strong background in a quantitative field such as mathematics (including teachers and tutors), statistics, actuarial science, physics, economics, computer science, accounting, or finance.
- Career-changers with strong quantitative skills who are looking to transition into the actuarial field.
- Prospective actuaries interested in starting a career, career advancement, and exam preparation.
Connect with Us
Learn more about Actuarial Science at Columbia University School of Professional Studies, or contact the program admissions counselor.Request more information
Study with Us
As admissions to our programs are highly competitive, we encourage you to apply as soon as possible. Learn more about the application process, deadlines, and requirements.Learn more