Below are examples of courses that have been open to auditors during past terms. They illustrate the breadth of subject matter and caliber of instruction auditors have access to at Columbia.
To see all courses available to auditors, go to the Columbia University Directory of Classes, find “Auditing” in the Department Name column, and select a term.
- Seats in a course are taken on a first-come, first-served basis. Applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as the courses are posted (one month prior to the start of classes).
- No more than three auditors are permitted in courses with an enrollment of less than 30. No more than five are permitted in classes with an enrollment greater than 30. No exceptions are made to this limitation even if an instructor grants permission.
- Only academic-year courses may be audited. Auditing is not allowed for Summer Session courses.
- Foreign language courses are not open to auditors.
- Auditors may not concurrently enroll in courses for credit.
- Audited courses may not be repeated for credit.
- Under no circumstances may seminars or limited enrollment courses be audited even if the instructor gives permission.
- Students enrolled in the Manhattanville Auditing program may take up to two courses per academic year.