The Columbia University School of Professional Studies is excited to announce a new opportunity for SPS students to become representatives on the SPS Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Accessibility (DEIA) Committee.
In June 2021, Columbia SPS formed its inaugural DEIA Committee. Comprised of more than 20 administrative staff and faculty members, the committee works with the Chief Diversity Officer to identify and recommend policies to institutionalize diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility in SPS’s hiring, curriculum, learning and development programs, support networks, and other practices.
This Spring, we plan to expand the committee to include five (5) current master’s students. Nominations are open today through Friday, January 28th, at 11:59 PM ET. Approved nominees will then be placed into a school-wide election where all current masters students can vote for their representatives. Emails in the coming weeks will include information about candidates and elections.
Below please review information about the eligibility requirements, responsibilities, and the nomination process for the Student Representatives on the SPS DEIA Committee.
Student Representative Eligibility Requirements
- Currently enrolled master’s degree student
- Full-time or part-time
- In good academic and behavioral standing
- Must be able to serve from February 2022–August 2022, with elections for the 2022–2023 school year happening in September 2022.
Student Representative Responsibilities
- Value the SPS DEIA committee mission & purpose and serve on the committee to the best of your ability
- Attend monthly DEIA Committee meetings
- Participate in one (1) sub-committee
- Assist sub-committee with deliverables to further the mission of the DEIA committee
- All current faculty, staff, students, and SPS Alumni can nominate any master's student that meets the eligibility requirements listed above
- Self-nominations are encouraged
- Nominations close Friday, January 28, 2022 at 11:59 p.m. ET
- Approved nominees will be notified during the week of January 31st and given information about the election process
If you have any questions or concerns, please reach out to spsdiversity [[at]] columbia [[dot]] edu.