Thomas H. Murray
Faculty Affiliate, Bioethics; President Emeritus and Senior Research Scholar at the Hastings Center
Thomas H. Murray, President Emeritus and Senior Research Scholar at the Hastings Center. Hastings Center, was formerly the Director of the Center for Biomedical Ethics in the School of Medicine at Case Western Reserve University, where he was also the Susan E. Watson Professor of Bioethics.
Murray serves on many editorial boards and has been president of the Society for Health and Human Values and of the American Society for Bioethics and Humanities. Among other current posts, he serves as Chair of the Ethical Issues Review Panel for the World Anti-Doping Agency, as International Expert Advisor to Singapore’s Bioethics Advisory Committee, and is Vice Chair of Charity Navigator.
Murray has testified before many Congressional committees and is the author of more than 250 publications. He is also editor, with Maxwell J. Mehlman, of the Encyclopedia of Ethical, Legal and Policy Issues in Biotechnology.
Murray is currently PI of The Hastings Center’s project, funded by the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation, on ethics and synthetic biology. He is writing a book on values, drugs and sport with the working title Why We Play.
In 2004, Murray received an honorary Doctor of Medicine degree from Uppsala University.
- Ph.D., Princeton University
- Good Sport: Why Our Games Matter — and How Doping Undermines Them (Oxford University Press, 2018)
- Trust and Integrity in Biomedical Research: The Case of Financial Conflicts of Interest (Johns Hopkins University Press, 2010), co-edited with Josephine Johnson
- Performance-Enhancing Technologies in Sports: Ethical, Conceptual, and Scientific Issues (Johns Hopkins University Press, 2009), co-edited with Karen J. Maschke and Angela A. Wasunna
- Genetic Ties and the Family: The Impact of Paternity Testing on Parents and Children (Johns Hopkins University Press, 2005), co-edited with Mark A. Rothstein, Gregory E. Kaebnick, and Mary Anderlik Majumder
- The Cultures of Caregiving: Conflict and Common Ground Among Families, Health Professionals and Policy Makers (Johns Hopkins University Press, 2004), co-edited with Carol Levine
- Encyclopedia of Ethical, Legal and Policy Issues in Biotechnology (John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 2002), edited with Maxwell J. Mehlman
- The Worth of a Child (University of California Press, 1996)