Academic Director and Sr. Lecturer in Discipline; President and Founder, SimErgy Consulting; M.S. in Enterprise Risk Management Program
Sim Segal is president and founder of SimErgy Consulting, a consulting firm specializing exclusively in ERM. Headquartered in Manhattan, SimErgy provides ERM consulting services to companies in all sectors, helping organizations implement or advance their ERM programs.
Segal is the founder and academic director of the M.S. in Enterprise Risk Management program at Columbia University, the #1 such program globally.
With 30+ years of experience in measuring and managing risk, Segal is a globally recognized ERM thought leader with ERM experience in a variety of sectors, such as insurance, banking, credit cards, technology, consumer goods, biotech, telecomm, hospitality, energy, services, timberland, education and research, nonprofit organizations, and government bodies.
Segal is author of Corporate Value of Enterprise Risk Management (Wiley, March 2011), which is required reading on the syllabi of the Society of Actuaries (SOA) and leading universities in the U.S., Canada, the U.K., Australia, China, Italy, Croatia, and Egypt.
Segal has designed and coauthored several ERM research studies. He has also authored numerous articles in publications such as Forbes, American Banker, and Corporate Finance Review and has been quoted in publications such as the Wall Street Journal, Global Finance, National Underwriter, and Rough Notes. Segal is a frequently invited speaker to ERM conferences and events and has made over 300 ERM-related presentations globally.
Segal is active on industry committees. He served as the inaugural chairman of the Risk Committee of the Society of Actuaries (SOA) (a global education and research organization), leading the design and implementation of its ERM program (2009-2011). He also served as chief editor of Risk Management, a quarterly international ERM publication (2008–2009). Segal currently serves as vice chair of the Canadian Institute of Actuaries (CIA) ERM Applications Committee and as a member of the Joint Risk Management Section’s ERM Symposium Program Committee, jointly run by the Casualty Actuarial Society, the CIA, and the SOA.
Prior to SimErgy, Segal led ERM consulting practices at Deloitte Consulting, Aon, and Watson Wyatt (now part of Willis Towers Watson). Prior to his consulting experience, Segal was an officer at MetLife, where he was a key player in the first successful adoption of economic capital by a U.S. insurer, assisting in its integration into strategic planning, capital management, pricing, and financial reporting. Segal also led one of the internal teams to convert MetLife into a stock company.
Segal has also played a leadership role in the actuarial profession; examples of such service include:
- Vice president, SOA Board of Directors (2009-2011)
- Member, SOA Board of Directors (2006-2009)
- Member, Editorial Board of The Actuary, an international publication (2005-2006)
- President, Actuarial Society of Greater New York (2002-2003)
- Chairman, SOA Management & Personal Development Section (2002-2003)
- A lead actuary in the Actuarial Foundation’s Advancing Student Achievement Program (2004-2006)
Segal is a Fellow of Society of Actuaries (FSA) and a Chartered Enterprise Risk Analyst (CERA). Segal is one of 40 ERM experts awarded the CERA for “thought leadership and significant contributions to advance the practice of ERM.”
- Fellow of the Society of Actuaries (FSA)
- Chartered Enterprise Risk Analyst (CERA)
- B.A., Wayne State University
- Corporate Value of Enterprise Risk Management (Wiley, March 2011)
- Research study: National Risk Management: A Practical ERM Approach for Federal Governments, a joint publication of the Canadian Institute of Actuaries, the Casualty Actuarial Society, and the Society of Actuaries, Mar 2018
- Research study: Front-Page Risks: Risks Commonly Occurring and Reported in the Canadian News, a joint publication of the Casualty Actuarial Society, the Canadian Institute of Actuaries, and the Society of Actuaries, Apr 2015
- Research study: Regulatory Risk and North American Insurance Organizations: A Company Perspective, a joint publication of the Casualty Actuarial Society, the Canadian Institute of Actuaries, and the Society of Actuaries, Feb 2015
- Top 10 Questions Boards Should Ask About Enterprise Risk Management, Carrier Management, Jun 12, 2014
- Cover Story: How Model Risk Devastated an Organization, The Actuary magazine, Jun-Jul 2013
In the News
Webinar Recording: ERM and Pandemic Scenarios and Planning: How ERM Helps and COVID-19 Lessons To-Date
ERM faculty highlight recent webinar on ERM and pandemic scenarios and planning related to COVID-19.
Webinar Recording: Testing COVID-19 Decisions Using US Intelligence Methods
ERM faculty highlight recent webinar about using U.S. intelligence methods to test COVID-19 decision making.