Peter T. Coleman
Dr. Peter T. Coleman is Professor of Psychology and Education at Columbia University where he holds a joint-appointment at Teachers College and The Earth Institute. Dr. Coleman directs the Morton Deutsch International Center for Cooperation and Conflict Resolution (MD-ICCCR) and the Institute for Psychological Science and Practice (IPSP) at Teachers College, and is Executive Director of Columbia University’s Advanced Consortium on Cooperation, Conflict, and Complexity (AC4).
Dr. Coleman is a renowned expert on conflict resolution. His current research focuses on conflict intelligence and systemic wisdom as meta-competencies for navigating conflict constructively across all levels (from families to companies to communities to nations), and includes projects on adaptive negotiation and mediation dynamics, cross-cultural adaptivity, optimality of motivational dynamics in conflict, justice and polarization, multicultural conflict, intractable conflict, and sustainable peace.
In 2003, he became the first recipient of the Early Career Award from the American Psychological Association (APA), Division 48: Society for the Study of Peace, Conflict, and Violence, and in 2015 was awarded the Morton Deutsch Conflict Resolution Award by APA and a Marie Curie Fellowship from The EU. Dr. Coleman edits the award-winning Handbook of Conflict Resolution: Theory and Practice (2000, 2006, 2014). His most recent book, Making Conflict Work: Navigating Disagreement Up and Down Your Organization (2014), won the 2016 Outstanding Book Award from The International Association of Conflict Management.
He has also authored over 100 articles and chapters, is a member of the United Nation Mediation Support Unit’s Academic Advisory Council, is a founding board member of the Gbowee Peace Foundation USA, and is a New York State certified mediator and experienced consultant. He also founded the MD-ICCCR Science-Practice Blog, the WKCR (89.9 FM) monthly radio program Peace and Conflict at Columbia: Conversations at the Leading Edge, and is a frequent blogger on Huffington Post and Psychology Today. Dr. Coleman’s work has also been featured in media outlets such as Harvard Business Review, Forbes, This American Life, Time Magazine, Fox Business, CBS, Fast Company, and Chicago Public Radio.
- P.h.D., Columbia University
- M.Phil., Columbia University
- B.A., University of Iowa
- Handbook of Conflict Resolution: Theory and Practice (Wiley, 2000, 2006, 2014), with Morton Deutsch and Eric C. Marcus (editors)
- Making Conflict Work: Navigating Disagreement Up and Down Your Organization (Mariner Books, 2014), with Robert Ferguson
- Attracted to Conflict: Dynamic Foundations of Destructive Social Relations (Springer, 2013), with various co-authors
- Psychological Components of Sustainable Peace (Springer, 2012), with Morton Deutsch (editors)
- Conflict, Justice, and Interdependence: The Legacy of Morton Deutsch (Springer, 2011) (editor)
- The Five Percent: Finding Solutions to Seemingly Impossible Conflicts (PublicAffairs, 2011)