World-class IT strategist with more than three decades of business-building experience with Procter & Gamble — both in developed and developing markets. Served for over ten years as Group President of Global Business Services (GBS) and Chief Information Officer (CIO), leading the most global P&G organization and overseeing over 170 distinct services in 70 countries. Line-management experience, as well as broad international experience – including living and working in Italy, Turkey, the UK, Latin America, Greece and the United States.
Globally recognized as an information technology and shared services thought leader. Known for creating new, progressive business models leveraging digital technology and driving innovation. Champion of transforming the way business is done — being distinctive by anticipating the needs of the business and delivering solutions that drive relevant business value. Strategies, principles and ideas have been the subject of numerous books, articles and Harvard Business Reviews.
Global Operating Executive, Consultant, Educator (June 2015 – present)
The Carlyle Group, Operating Executive
Columbia University, Academic Director & Professor in Residence
CEFRIEL, Chief Global Strategist
The Procter & Gamble Company (November 1981 – June 2015)
1981 Systems Analyst, Management Systems, Italy
1986 Design Manager, Management Systems, Italy
1989 Manager, Management Systems, Turkey
1991 Manager, Management Systems, U.K.
1994 Director, Management Systems, Latin America
1997 Vice President, Management Systems, North America
1999 Vice President, Information Technology, Global Beauty Care and North America
2001 Vice President, Corporate Marketing Leader, Western Europe, Greece
2003 Global Business Services Officer
2004 Global Business Services Officer and Chief Information Officer
2008 President, Global Business Services and Chief Information Officer
2011 Group President, Global Business Services and Chief Information Officer
2015 Officer on Special Assignment to the P&G President and CEO
Board of Directors, United Rentals, Inc.
Greatbatch, Inc., Board Member
Visiting Professor, Politecnico di Milano School of Management
Professor in Residence, Columbia University
Member, Wall Street Journal CIO Council
Member, The Research Board
Adjunct Professor, University of Toronto, Rotman School of Management
Adjunct Professor, INCAE Business School, Costa Rica
Awards and Recognitions
- HMG Strategy Transformational CIO Award, 2015
- Consumer Goods Technology Magazine, CIO of the Year Finalist, 2013
- Inaugural Recipient, Fisher-Hopper Prize for Lifetime Achievement in CIO Leadership, UC-Berkeley’s Haas School of Business, 2012
- CIO 100 Award, CIO Magazine, 2006, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013
- George Washington Carver Leadership Award, Tuskegee University, 2012
- 150 Most Distinguished CIOs, and Top CIOs, ExecRank, 2012
- Breakaway Leader Award, CIO Executive Summit, 2011
- Inductee, CIO Hall of Fame, 2010
- Chief of the Year, InformationWeek, 2010
- CIO Award for Excellence in IT Usage, NASSCOM, 2010
- Premier 100 IT Leaders, Computerworld, 2007
- Shared Service Thought Leader of the Year, Shared Services & Outsourcing Network, 2006, 2008
- Inaugural Inductee, Outsourcing Hall of Fame, International Assoc. of Outsourcing Professionals, 2006
Recent Keynote Speeches
- PI Congress 2014, October 2014 (Transforming the Way Business is Done)
- Oracle OpenWorld, September 2014 (Leveraging Technology to Meet Consumer Needs)
- World BPO/ITO Forum, May 2014 (Taking Strategic Partnerships to the Next Level of Value Creation)
- Tata Consultancy Services North America Innovation Forum, May 2014 (Leveraging Analytics to Transform the Way Business is Done)
- Japan Company Forum 2013, November 2013
- Columbia University CIO Forum Breakfast Seminar, September 2013
University of Rome, Doctorate in Statistics & Operations Research
Publications – Book Forewords
- Filippo Passerini, Foreword, The Strategic CIO: Changing the Dynamics of Business Enterprise, by Phil Weinzimer, Taylor and Francis, New York City, 2014.
- Filippo Passerini, Foreword, World Class IT Strategy, by Peter High, Jossey-Bass, San Francisco, 2014.
Publications – Book Mentions
- A.G. Lafley and Roger L. Martin, Playing to Win: How Strategy Really Works, Harvard Business Review Press, Boston, 2013, p. 39, 40-43, 107, 111.
- Roger L. Martin, The Opposable Mind, Harvard Business Review Press, Boston, 2007.
- Brian Watson and Dan Roberts, Confessions of a Successful CIO, Wiley, Hoboken, 2014, p. 3-15.
- Peter High, World Class IT Strategy, Jossey-Bass, San Francisco, 2014.
- Phil Weinzimer, The Strategic CIO: Changing the Dynamics of Business Enterprise, Taylor and Francis, New York City, 2014, p. 369-396
Publications – Journal and Magazine Articles
- PQR Magazine: “Five Steps to Business Relevant Analytics,” March 2014.
- CIO Review Magazine: 2014 CIO Outlook. “Bring Relevance and Distinctive Value to the Business,” March 2014.
- CIO Review Magazine: Manufacturing Tech Outlook 2013. “What Keeps You Awake at Night,” September 2013.