In the Crucible of Change: DEI at the Crossroads
In one sense have we been here before, from another perspective, is now different?
With the trifecta of challenges including the COVID-19 pandemic, a public outcry regarding the killing of unarmed black citizens, and efforts to suppress diversity training, the daunting project of cultural transformation to remove systemic and deeply rooted organizational barriers to diversity, equity, and inclusion is on the front burner for both higher education and corporations. The “urgency of now” requires the development and integration of sustainable HCM and DEI strategies that build diversity capability and overcome both internal and external resistance.
This virtual panel with thought leaders in the public and private sectors will address some tough questions:
- How can we ensure that diversity transformation does not become the “topic du jour”?
- How can HCM/DEI leaders build sustainable commitment to DEI at all levels of the organization and within the communities they serve?
- How can HCM/DEI leaders overcome diversity resistance within their organizations?
- What concrete approaches will assist HCM/DEI leaders in fostering sustainable diversity cultural transformation?
- How can HCM/DEI leaders forge winning strategies from recruitment and hiring to total rewards and organizational learning that promote retention and strengthen diversity organizational capabilities?
- What comparative progress has been made across the corporate, nonprofit, and higher education sectors in implementing systematic HCM/DEI practices?
This program will share leading-edge HCM and DEI practices that can help organizations accelerate and sustain their progress toward a culture of inclusion.
Welcome: Dr. Steve Safier, Interim Program Director, M.S. in Human Capital Management, Columbia University
Moderator: Dr. Edna Chun, Chief Learning Officer for HigherEd Talent; Lecturer, M.S. in Human Capital Management, Columbia University
Executive Vice President, RBC
Dr. Jennifer Farmer
VP of Global Diversity & Inclusion, Thermo Fisher Scientific
SVP, Chief Equity Officer, 3M
Dr. Robert M. Sellers
Vice Provost for Equity & Inclusion and Chief Diversity Officer, University of Michigan
Frank Wu, Esq.
President, Queens College