High School Visiting Students
The School of Professional Studies offers a special opportunity for academically exceptional high school juniors and seniors who live within commuting distance to take courses with Columbia students and earn full college credit.
As a High School Visiting Student, you can select courses from any departments of Arts and Sciences at Columbia, working with advisers at the School of Professional Studies to tailor your study. Students are responsible for ensuring they have met prerequisites where required. High school students normally enroll in lower level (1000-2999) courses and must obtain special permission from the Director of Summer Sessions and Visiting Student Programs to register for upper-level courses.
If you are interested in taking courses as a High School Visiting Student during the summer, please visit the Columbia Summer site.
- Admission as a High School Visiting Student is normally permitted for two terms of study, with continuation into the second term contingent on the successful completion of the first. Students in good academic standing after two terms may petition to continue as Visiting High School Students.
- During the academic year, the High School Visiting Student program is only open to juniors and seniors.
- During the summer, the High School Visiting Student program is only open to rising juniors and rising seniors.
- High School Visiting Students must be actively enrolled in their secondary school throughout their studies at Columbia.
- Columbia does not offer housing for High School Visiting Students.
- To be eligible as a High School Visiting Student, you must live within commuting distance of Columbia.
- If you are a recent high school graduate who has been admitted to a four year undergraduate program but you have not yet begun your undergraduate studies, you should apply as a Visiting Undergraduate Student.
- If you are a recent high school graduate who is not committed to undergraduate study, you are not eligible to enroll in the School of Professional Studies in any applicant category.
- International students are not eligible to apply as High School Visiting Students due to visa regulation requirements.
In addition to the academic year and summer college-credit program for visiting high school students, Columbia University also offers noncredit immersive summer programs for highly motivated domestic and international high school students interested in living and studying in New York City, Barcelona, Beijing, and Jordan.
“I had completed enough math at The Brearley School that I was able to take calculus at Columbia over the summer. I enjoyed the class so much that I continued taking math, physics, and theoretical computer science classes. I have almost completed the requirements for a math major at Columbia. I just found out that I've been accepted to Cambridge and Yale and I'm looking forward to starting college!”Francesca Slade, Age 17