New York City’s many and diverse neighborhoods, combined with an extensive public transportation system, offer a variety of housing options that are convenient to Columbia University’s campus in Manhattan. The School of Professional Studies has limited housing availability for students who are enrolled full time in a Master of Science program on campus. We do not offer family housing. Columbia’s Off-Campus Housing Assistance (OCHA) office is a good resource for students seeking alternative housing.
SPS offers housing to full-time, registered Master of Science students. Full- time includes any student who is registered for 12 credits/points or more. Housing assignments are for an entire academic year (fall and spring semesters) and provides students with an opportunity to engage with their fellow students beyond the classroom and to further complement their student experience within a residential community.
Housing options may include:
- Double shared-occupancy dorm room with a private bath
- Single dorm room with a private bath
- Single dorm room within a shared apartment
SPS housing costs vary based on the housing assignment and range between $1,000 and $2,400 per month.
Perks of Living with SPS
- Live among a community of scholars
- 24-hour staffing, support, and services
- Enhanced safety and security
- Vibrant and active community that helps graduate students find their place and develop lifelong friendships
- Access to 24-hour study lounges
- On-site laundry facilities
- Community kitchens
- Close proximity to transportation
- Access to gym facilities within the building
- WiFi access throughout the building
SPS Housing Application
A housing application link with log-in information is provided to students upon admission. Students must apply for housing via the housing portal, using the sign-up code below and their PID number:
- Link to Housing Portal
- Fall 2018 Sign-Up Code: uah102647
- The PID Number will start with a “C” followed by 9 digits (Cxxxxxxxxx). You can locate your PID Number via your program’s advisor.
Students seeking SPS housing should complete the application and will be notified if housing is available, or if they have been placed on a waitlist. Students who are offered housing must pay a nonrefundable $1,000 deposit within five business days from the date of the offer, in order to secure their housing assignment.
Students are encouraged to review Columbia University Facilities’ How to Apply section for more information about creating a housing account and submitting a housing application.
SPS Housing Contract & Billing
Housing contracts are set for one academic year (fall and spring semesters only). Bills are payable in monthly installments, semester installments, or academic year payments.
Columbia’s Off-Campus Housing Assistance Office
Columbia’s Off-Campus Housing Assistance (OCHA) office maintains an online database of available apartments and rooms for rent in the greater New York metropolitan area. A University Network ID (UNI) is required to sign up for OCHA; if you are a new student, activate your UNI account. If you are a recently admitted student and you do not have a UNI yet, you may create a guest account.