Inform better risk-reward decisions by providing a more complete, robust, and integrated picture of both upside and downside volatility across the entire enterprise.
Columbia University’s non-degree Certification of Professional Achievement in Enterprise Risk Management prepares risk professionals to design and implement ERM programs that enhance all decision-making processes, ranging from strategic decisions to traditional mitigation decisions. It also provides a robust toolkit of advanced risk management capabilities and competencies that can be applied to enhance value at both the enterprise level and at the traditional silo risk management level. The core coursework provides insights on how to utilize these ERM and risk management tools and techniques across a variety of formalized risk management frameworks commonly in use.
Gain Multifaceted and Practical ERM Knowledge
The program has five distinct features critical for ERM:
A focus on all aspects of ERM. Our curriculum spans all aspects of ERM, including ERM framework, risk governance, risk identification, risk quantification, risk decision-making, and risk messaging.
A focus on all risk sources. We address all sources of risk including strategic (e.g. strategy execution risk, competitor risk, etc.); operational (HR, cyber-security, etc.); financial (market risk, credit risk, etc.); and insurance risk (e.g. pricing risk).
A customizable course of study. Recognizing that ERM is a broad field with various roles, we offer flexible course options for you to select a deeper dive into the content most suited to your needs.
A balance of skills. You will supplement technical ERM skills with business communication skills required to effectively navigate the ERM landscape and gain buy-in from key internal and external stakeholders.
A practical approach. Develop practical ERM tools and techniques that have been tested and proven in the marketplace by our faculty, who are globally recognized ERM leaders.
Develop Key Skills
Upon successful completion of the program, you will be prepared to:
- Design and implement an appropriate ERM framework and risk governance structure customized to any type of organization
- Conduct qualitative risk assessments to identify/prioritize key risks from among all risk sources
- Quantify all types of risks, including strategic, operational, financial, and insurance
- Develop a clear definition of risk appetite (the aggregate enterprise-level risk limit)
- Enhance strategic planning, increasing the likelihood of achieving strategic plan goals
- Provide a rigorous business case for both business and mitigation risk-reward decision-making
- Assure the board of directors that key risks are well understood and managed
- Understand and satisfy ERM requirements from rating agencies, regulators, and shareholders
- Apply ERM techniques to enhance risk decision making even at the traditional silo risk management level
Complete the Program in Less Than One Year
Offered on Columbia’s campus in New York Cit, the part-time, four-course program allows for completion in under one year for students who take two courses per term.
Who Should Apply
The program is ideal for individuals who plan to pursue or advance a career in enterprise risk management, as well as those who want to expand their abilities in traditional silo risk management in such areas as audit, information technology, compliance, and risk management of insurable risks.