Are you a student who’s passionate about your field of study or just wants to amplify your accomplishments? Then we want to hear from you on social media and our blog!
Pitch us your content at spsnews [[at]] columbia [[dot]] edu and upload related photos and/or videos* to the SPS Student Submissions folder.
Showcase your awards, publications, speaking engagements, and other accomplishments to SPS’s 1.4 million monthly website users and 152,000 social media followers
Create a portfolio to demonstrate your interests and writing skills
Sharpen your ability to write on a range of topics
Amplify student events and opportunities
Establish your personal brand
Speak out on and explore issues that you’re passionate or knowledgeable about
Foster connections with diverse Columbia community members, from sports management students to risk management professionals
Expand your network by interviewing members of the Columbia community (faculty, alumni, fellow students, and administration and staff)
Receive top-notch editing and feedback
We’re looking for a range of content—Instagram takeovers, photo essays, and/or blog entries—on various topics related to student life and learning at Columbia SPS. You may use the first-person or third-person narrative in your submission.
Not sure where to start? Here are some examples from current and previous students!
- A Day in The Life Of… Blog
- Do a Student Takeover on Instagram
- At the Inaugural SPS Next Event, Students Take the Stage to Share Pivotal Realizations and Innovative Ideas
- Becoming a Real New Yorker by Huiru Guo, '22SPS, Strategic Communication
- Executive M.S. in Strategic Communication Student Ashley All: How She Led the Groundbreaking Communications Campaign to Protect Abortion Rights in Kansas by Sarah Oleng’, '22SPS, Strategic Communication
Topics To Consider
We’re open to a range of topics that showcase the details of life inside and outside of the classroom.
- Friendsgiving/Thanksgiving. Will you spend Thanksgiving in New York with friends? Share how you’re planning to spend the day in photos and/or videos! In the U.S., Thanksgiving is a holiday that typically takes place on the last Thursday of November.
- Holiday Season. Are there any special traditions you follow during the holiday season? Show us how you celebrate in photos, videos, and/or a blog submission.
- Fall in New York. Are you new to the city? We want to hear about which spots—famous and obscure—you’re visiting, including site visits for class and weekend trips with friends. Did anything surprise (or underwhelm) you? What are your top 10 places to visit for the fall?
- Wearing multiple hats. Are you a parent or a full-time employee? How are you managing your various responsibilities? What does a day or week in your life look like?
- Greater Good Challenge (and other pitch competitions). We’d like to hear real-time, behind-the-scenes updates from students about the GGC process in a series of blog entries. How’d you come up with your business idea and create a team? What phase are you in the process? What do you hope to do with your idea after the competition ends? You’re welcome to send blog entries about other competitions you’re entering.
- Managing finances in graduate school. Did you find funding to cover graduate school or other ways to earn cash? Do you have an internship or a campus job? Share tips about how you’re managing your finances in the big city.
- Navigating Columbia and the job search as an international student. We want a behind-the-scenes look at how international students are approaching their job preparation and search process. Tell us about the employer info sessions and career fairs you’re attending and other Career Design Lab resources you’re utilizing! How are your classroom learning experiences helping you along the way?
- “Bringing your whole self” to the classroom and/or work. How are you building a community of support at Columbia as an LGBTQ+ person, a first-generation graduate student, a woman, and/or a person of color? How do you navigate the concept of “bringing your whole self” to the classroom and/or work?
How to Submit a Blog Entry
Submit your content to spsnews [[at]] columbia [[dot]] edu. Please upload related photos and/or videos* to the SPS Student Submissions folder. Blog submissions are selected and collaboratively edited based on the school’s strategic priorities. There are no word count requirements.
All contributors are expected to exercise good judgment in conveying the values of our community to ensure appropriate content. Attacks on individuals, groups, and institutions are not permitted. Contributors are invited to write about their professional experiences, but articles should not be used to advertise any business, product, or service. Fact-checking and the observance of established norms for quality are expected.
*people other than you in photos/videos must consent to their image being used on the Columbia SPS blog and social media.