Francisco X. Pineda, FRICS, M.B.A., M.P.A.
Lecturer in the Discipline of Construction Administration
Francisco X. Pineda is a Faculty member and Program Director for the Master of Science in Construction Administration at Columbia University. He is also a Fellow of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors and Senior Strategy Advisor to Gleeds. His research and professional interests lie in organizational intelligence, critical capabilities, and the structuring and management of complex project-based teams and enterprises.
In his eighteen-year career, he has worked on all aspects of the development cycle—investment, development, and construction. He has led and turned-around property development companies and construction projects, as well as businesses in hospitality, building materials, and food & beverage.
Following an early career in corporate strategy at Hess as well as investment banking and private equity at Merrill Lynch, he was engaged to lead one of the Middle East’s largest corporate recovery initiatives working alongside Shearman & Sterling and Moelis & Co on restructuring a $1.6 billion real estate portfolio.
Francisco serves as a U.S. Navy (Reserves) officer and in 2018 was selected as a Presidential Leadership Scholar by the Clinton-GW Bush-HW Bush-LBJ Foundations. More recently, in his programmatic and faculty roles at Columbia University, has co-founded the Columbia Construction Diversity Initiative, a research and development initiative focused on improving the supply chain and access and training of MWBE (Workforce, Veteran, and Disabled) contractors in NYC.
He has served on several boards, industry committees, and as a senior advisor:
- Biden Infrastructure Policy Committee 2020
- World Economic Forum, Infrastructure 4.0
- Urban Land Institute’s (ULI-NY) Program Steering Committee
- Cities4All Global Leaders Council (Ford Foundation, UN-United Cities & Local Government)
- Turnaround Management Association’s (TMA-NY) Academic Relations Committee
Selected Projects & Deal Experience
- New York MTA (Metropolitan Transportation Authority) +$1 billion Penn Station Access Project: Appointed member of the MTA’s Major Construction Review Unit (MCRU)
- $4 billion Delta/La Guardia Airport Reconfiguration Plan (NYC) Advisor to General Superintendent on Field Training and Development
- $7 billion Columbia University Manhattanville Development (NYC) Advisor on Sub-contractor Diversity Procurement and Development, MWBE
- $1.6 billion Restructuring of Sovereign Wealth Fund Real Estate and Construction Portfolio SVP Investment and Development and Executive Restructuring Committee (Infra, Hospitality, F&B, and Luxury Resi Assets)
- $711 million Besicorp Empire Power Holding, LLC - 639 MW CCGT Power Plant Development (NY) Lead Associate Energy & Power Group – Merrill Lynch Investment Banking
Francisco teaches the Capstone Project, Construction Project Management, Advanced Project Management, Development & Construction, and Independent Study
- M.B.A., Finance, Columbia University
- M.P.A., Advanced Economic Policy Analysis, Columbia University
- B.A., History, University of Kent
In the News
Francisco Pineda Co-Authors Infrastructure 4.0 for the World Economic Forum
The mission: Reshape the world's approach to infrastructure, focusing on three thematic areas.
5 Building Blocks for a More Sustainable Future
Integrating science, technology, and financial incentives offer a promising path toward a sustainable future for construction.