Dr. Douglas Scherer (Ed.D., CISA, CDPSE, CSM, MBSR-QT) is a Lecturer in Columbia University’s M.S. in Technology Management program.
He is also a seasoned information technology executive, experienced with developing worldwide collaborative teams and leading highly leveraged programs.
Dr. Scherer’s research interests include real-time decision-making during extreme events, adult development, corporate ethics and compliance, reflective and critical learning, conscious leader development, embodied knowing, and mindfulness in organizations.
He has presented at a diverse array of international conferences including the Academy of Management Annual Conference, Oracle OpenWorld, and the Meaningful World Annual Mind-Body-Eco-Spirit Festival at the United Nations. Having achieved Qualified Teacher status in Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) from the University of Massachusetts Medical School Center for Mindfulness, Dr. Scherer champions the power of compassion and leadership presence.
His unique multi-faceted background is accompanied by many published articles, books, and papers. His most recent book, F.O.R.G.E.D.: Six Practices of Great Leaders in Volatile Times, was ranked #1 for a month on Amazon’s new release list. His roles as author and series technical advisor yielded a body of Oracle technology books and videos published by McGraw-Hill and Prentice Hall, which together sold over 50,000 copies.
Dr. Scherer’s long-term affiliation with Columbia University, where he received his M.S. and Doctoral degrees, includes many years as lecturer and course designer, as well as three years as Chair of the former Database and Design Certification program.
- Ed.D., Columbia University
- M.S., Columbia University
- Scherer, D. (2021). F.O.R.G.E.D.: Six Practices of Great Leaders in Volatile Times. Potomac, MD: New Degree Press.
- "Experiential Resonance: Tapping into Embodied Knowledge – a Qualitative Study of Snow Sports Instruction in New York," Proceedings of Ski Congress 2017, Finnish Society of Sports Sciences, Jyväskylä, Finland (2017)
- Mindfulness, Learning, and Extreme Event Leadership, presentation at Wisdom, Mindfulness, and Organizations at Garrison Institute, Garrison, NY (June 2013)
- “Using Reflective Learning in Information Technology Crisis Resolution” in Contemporary Perspectives on Technological Innovations, Management, and Policy, B. Ran (Ed.), volume 2 (Information Age Publishing, 2012)
- “Doing the Right Thing: Executive Mentors and Caring Leader Development,” paper presented at the Academy of Management Annual Meeting, Montreal (August 2010)