Dr. Douglas Scherer (EdD, CISA, CSM, MBSR-QT) travels several paths. As a technology executive and relationship manager he leads highly leveraged programs, most recently realized in a project that produced a 35x benefit/cost ratio in the first year, while deepening user-focused analytics. He is the recipient of the Citi Private Bank Dazzle Award and a nominee for the Citi Private Bank Client Service Excellence Award.
He is also a mindfulness practitioner, holding Qualified-Teacher status in Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction from the University of Massachusetts Medical School Center for Mindfulness (CFM). This summer he presented at the Meaningful World Annual Mind-Body-Eco-Spirit Festival at the United Nations. He also holds ongoing MBSR and pain management workshops.
As a researcher and presenter, he holds interests in real-time decision-making during extreme events, adult development, corporate ethics and compliance, reflective and critical learning, conscious leader development, embodied knowing, and mindfulness in organizations.
His unique multi-faceted background is accompanied by many published articles, books, and papers. His Oracle Magazine articles and international Oracle conference presentations focused on new Oracle database functionality. At the same time, his roles as author and series technical advisor yielded a body of Oracle technology books and videos published by McGraw-Hill and Prentice Hall. Dr. Scherer’s paper on caring leader development was selected for presentation at the Academy of Management annual meeting in Montreal.
Dr. Scherer’s long-term affiliation with Columbia University includes many years as lecturer and course designer, as well as three years as Chair of the former Database and Design Certification program.
- Ed.D., Columbia University
- "Experiential Resonance: Tapping into Embodied Knowledge – a Qualitative Study of Snow Sports Instruction in New York," Proceedings of Ski Congress 2017, Finnish Society of Sports Sciences, Jyväskylä, Finland (2017)
- Mindfulness, Learning, and Extreme Event Leadership, presentation at Wisdom, Mindfulness, and Organizations at Garrison Institute, Garrison, NY (June 2013)
- “Using Reflective Learning in Information Technology Crisis Resolution” in Contemporary Perspectives on Technological Innovations, Management, and Policy, B. Ran (Ed.), volume 2 (Information Age Publishing, 2012)
- “Doing the Right Thing: Executive Mentors and Caring Leader Development,” paper presented at the Academy of Management Annual Meeting, Montreal (August 2010)