Master of Professional Studies in Wealth Management
The goal of the Master of Professional Studies in Wealth Management is to prepare the next generation of advisors who work with high-net-worth individuals, foundations, and endowments to grow and manage wealth. Coursework is completed via Columbia’s flexible online learning platform along with two in-person residencies in New York City. The program requires 30 points and takes up to two years to complete. Only fall entry is available.
At a Glance
In This Master’s Program, You Will…
- Build expert knowledge of U.S. markets, policy, and law in order to become a wealth advisor in the U.S.
- Learn core investment skills and best-in-field solutions from industry experts and leaders.
- Master working closely with individuals, institutions, and family offices to create and maintain investment management strategies.
- Learn to identify client needs and respond with best in-field solutions.
- Prepare for career acceleration by creating a cohesive business plan under faculty supervision.
- Receive one-on-one mentoring from program faculty and staff, who are experts on and leaders in the world of wealth management.
- Understand and apply evolving technology in the wealth management field.
- Understand and respond to the demands of a changing industry and evolving regulatory measures.
- Learn a holistic goals-based approach to investment planning.
- Engage in coursework aligned with the skills needed to pass the Certified Financial Planner (CFP®) exam.
Program Features Include…
- A world-class curriculum with real-world emphasis that focuses on both foundational and cutting-edge knowledge in order to immediately accelerate your career.
- A preeminent scholar-practitioner faculty that includes leading wealth management professionals who bring their insights and experience into the classroom.
- Access to an extensive professional network of leading wealth managers, thought leaders, faculty, and alumni, as well as career development services and professional development opportunities.
- A flexible format for working professionals with online, self-paced coursework that is supplemented by two in-person residencies in New York City.
- An Applied Research Project that serves as a business plan and comprehensive financial plan for a sample individual and institution.
- An opportunity to take the Security Industry Essentials Exam (SIE), a new Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA) exam for prospective securities industry professionals.
- CFP® Board-registered, the highest industry standard for excellence.
Who Should Apply?
- Individuals who wish to advance their knowledge of financial markets, U.S. policy, tax laws, rules, and regulations as they pertain to wealth management in the U.S.
- Career-changers or individuals with two or more years of professional experience who plan to become wealth managers.
- Fund managers and other finance/investment professionals who plan to become wealth advisors.
- Current wealth management advisors, including family offices, looking to train current team members to become advisors.
- Wealth advisors who would like to start their own Registered Investment Advisor
Sample Core Courses
- Foundations of Wealth Management: Accounting and Finance
- Estate Planning
- Retirement and Insurance
- Portfolio Management
- Psychology of Investment Decisions and Client Relationship Management
Frequently Asked Questions
Connect with Us
Learn more about Wealth Management at Columbia University School of Professional Studies, or contact the program admissions counselor.Request more information
Study with Us
As admissions to our programs are highly competitive, we encourage you to apply as soon as possible. Learn more about the application process, deadlines, and requirements.Learn more