Youth, Peace, and Security Leadership
Advancing youth leadership around the globe.
The Youth, Peace, and Security (YPS) project at Columbia University is pleased to announce the YPS Leadership program, designed to advance the work of youth leaders around the world by creating joint efforts between practitioners on the ground and research, theory, and practice from the academy.
This program will: develop rigor in youth, peace, and security leadership efforts to increase effectiveness; build on local knowledge and experience to apply globally; enhance practice by grounding it in theory in areas related to YPS; connect global, regional and local networks via our global engagement partners; and support the implementation of the YPS global agenda. The program recognizes advances in the field and work already being done within the YPS realm, while at the same time supporting practitioners by linking their work to tools, research and practice in related fields that will elevate and amplify their work.
Selected youth leaders spend two weeks in New York City, June 3–14, 2019. The program includes classes, workshops, visits to the UN, and more. Upon completion of the program, participants receive a Certificate of Participation.
What You Will Learn
Throughout the program, participants will:
- Learn the foundations of YPS
- Discuss the implications of the YPS agenda toward a sustainable and peaceful future
- Enhance their knowledge of the concepts, theory and skills behind conflict resolution, problem-solving and intervention practices and skills
- Increase communicative behaviors and skills for increasing effectiveness as leaders
- Clarify the important role of youth in maintaining peace and security
- Design and implement a YPS project with their organization
Who Should Register
- Youth leaders and practitioners interested in linking their work to tools, research and practice in related fields that will elevate and amplify their work.
Connect with Us
Learn more about the Executive Education programs at Columbia University School of Professional Studies or contact the program director.Request more information
Programs for Organizations
Partner with us to create a tailored program to address your needs.Learn more