Skip navigation Jump to main navigation

Spring 2021 Advisory

Find the latest information SPS's plans for the Spring and University resources. Message from the Dean.
Close alert

Student Visa and Immigration Information

New Students

To apply for an I-20 for the ALP, go to our Apply for your Visa page

Returning students

If you have studied at the ALP in the past and would like to return for a new session, you can apply for your new I-20 here

Current Students

Here are links to forms you may need:

  • Just arrived? Welcome! Now you need to report your first arrival in the U.S.:
    Report your arrival
  • Are you continuing into the next session? If your I-20 is expiring, then you need an extension:
    Extend your I-20
  • Did you move into a dorm, apartment, or house? The U.S. Government needs to know:
    Change of U.S. address
  • Do you have a spouse or child? They need to be added to your record:
    Add a new dependent
  • Are you going to a different school? You need to complete a transfer-out form:
    Transfer-out request

Guidelines for Maintaining your Visa Status

The following guidelines are designed to help you understand the rules and regulations regarding maintaining your student status.

The ALP can only issue an I-20 for full-time ESL study. An ALP student can take other classes, but the basis for their I-20 and F-1 visa status is full-time ESL study.

Immigration Advising

To get advice on your status and for help getting and maintaining your F-1 visa, email us at alpvisa [[at]] columbia [[dot]] edu or visit us in 504 Lewisohn Hall

Connect with Us

Learn more about the American Language Program at Columbia University or contact the program advisor.

Request more information

Apply to the American Language Program

Learn more about the application process, deadlines, and requirements.

Learn more