Winter Cultural Course
The Winter Institute is a two week English and cultural program for intermediate to advanced learners.
- The goal of the course is to practice and improve English while learning about New York City.
- 15 hours of classroom instruction per week.
- 12 hours of project-based field trips and cultural activities in New York City with course instructors (class outside the classroom)
- Class time prepares students by reading, listening and discussing themes and topics relevant to the trip.
- During the field trips, students will complete tasks to guide their visit and develop their English.
- After each trip there will be additional activities, discussions, presentations and assignments.
- Sample trips may include: MOMA, The Metropolitan Museum of Art, The Lower East Side Tenement Museum, The American Museum of Natural History, The Museum of New York, The Museum of the Moving Image – among many others.
- Winter Institute is not an academic program. Students wishing to study academic English full-time should apply to ALP's Fall, Spring, or Summer sessions.
Dates and Prices
Tuition and fees are subject to Board of Trustee approval and may change.
For a full explanation of fees, see below.
Apply to Winter Cultural Program
The course is open to intermediate to advanced learners.
Current ALP students must have reached ALP level 3 to be considered for admission.
New students must apply online, and then complete the online placement test for admission.
- Completed online application form.
- Nonrefundable application fee: U.S. $150.00 for online applications + $350.00 tuition deposit, payable by credit card only. No application will be processed without this fee.
ALP Levels, Placement & Testing
Find out about our levels
Connect with Us
Learn more about American Language Program at Columbia University School of Professional Studies, or contact the program advisor.Request more information
Apply to the American Language Program
Learn more about the application process, deadlines, and requirements.Learn more
Commission on English Language Accreditation
The Winter Institute is accredited by the Commission on English Language Accreditation (CEA) for the period of August 2019 through August 2029. For these offerings, the American Language Program agrees to uphold CEA Standards for English Language Programs and institutions. The U.S. Secretary of Education recognizes CEA as a national accrediting agency for English language programs and institutions in the U.S.