Winter Cultural Course
The Winter Institute is a two week English and cultural program for intermediate to advanced learners.
- The goal of this course is to practice and improve English while learning about New York City.
- The course combines a mix of classroom instruction and project-based field trips and cultural activities in New York City with course instructors (class outside the classroom)
- Class time prepares students by reading, listening and discussing themes and topics relevant to the trip.
- During the field trips, students will complete tasks to guide their visit and develop their English.
- After each trip there will be additional activities, discussions, presentations and assignments.
- Class meets every weekday, morning and afternoon, either in the classroom or on a field trip, for maximum benefit.
- Sample trips may include: MOMA, The Metropolitan Museum of Art, The Lower East Side Tenement Museum, The American Museum of Natural History, The Museum of New York, The Museum of the Moving Image – among many others.
- Winter Institute is not an academic program. Students wishing to study academic English full-time should apply to ALP's Fall, Spring, or Summer sessions.
Dates and Prices
Click on the box for full details.
Tuition and fees are subject to Board of Trustee approval and may change.
For a full explanation of fees, see below.
The course is open to intermediate to advanced learners.
Current ALP students must have reached ALP level 3 (CEFR B1) to be considered for admission.
New students must apply online, and then complete the online placement test.
An F-1 Student Visa is NOT required to take the Winter Institute. You may study on an ESTA or tourist visa. This means you do not need to apply for an ALP I-20.
Ready to apply? Click this link:
ALP Levels, Placement & Testing
Find out about our levels
Connect with Us
Learn more about American Language Program at Columbia University School of Professional Studies, or contact the program advisor.Request more information
Apply to the American Language Program
Apply nowLearn more
Commission on English Language Accreditation
The Winter Institute is accredited by the Commission on English Language Accreditation (CEA) for the period of August 2019 through August 2029. For these offerings, the American Language Program agrees to uphold CEA Standards for English Language Programs and institutions. The U.S. Secretary of Education recognizes CEA as a national accrediting agency for English language programs and institutions in the U.S.