- Tuition & Fees
- Admitted Students
Students should contact the departmental representative with course-related questions.
Arabic Summer Program
212 854 2895
Courses are offered in two sessions.
First Year Arabic, I and II
Second Year Arabic, I and II
Third Year Arabic, I and II
* Students applying for any course other than First Year Arabic, I, must take a placement exam before they are admitted to the program.
Students who have taken Elementary or Intermediate Arabic at Columbia University are not required to take the placement exam.
Students are encouraged to take courses in both sessions, but with permission from the director may take one session.
The Columbia Arabic Summer Program (CASP) offers intensive instruction in the Arabic language through texts, multimedia materials, and activities designed to situate the language in the context of cultures in which it is spoken. The program uses Al-Kitaab series published by Georgetown University Press.
The language of instruction is Modern Standard Arabic (MSA), but students also have the opportunity to take a course in Spoken Arabic offered in the afternoon if they wish.
Experienced instructors use a proficiency-based approach that emphasizes all five skills: listening, speaking, reading, writing and culture. Arabic is the main language of instruction. Classes are held in technologically advanced smart and electronic classrooms.
The program also includes:
- Daily office hours held by the instructors to advise students
- Daily free tutoring provided by an experienced Teaching Assistant
- Integrated weekly cultural events, including music presentation and movie screenings held on Thursday afternoon
- Trips to acquaint students with the magnificent Middle Eastern heritage on display in museums and libraries of New York City. Visits to Middle Eastern neighborhoods and restaurants
- Cooking Arab food
Mandatory cultural activities are scheduled for Thursday afternoons; students should arrange their schedules accordingly.
Students in the Columbia Arabic Summer Program follow the Summer Session application and registration procedures.
To apply, follow the Summer Sessions application instructions for your admissions category:
- Columbia Students >
- Undergraduate Visiting Students >
- Graduate Visiting Students >
- High School Visiting Students >
- Adults & Professionals >
The University reserves the right to withdraw or modify the courses of instruction or to change the instructors as may become necessary.