- Tuition & Fees
- Admitted Students
Fee Waiver Deadline
The $80 application fee will be waived for applications submitted through March 1.
Columbia University’s Business Practice, an intensive summer offering for rising juniors and seniors in college, combines an internship at a New York City firm with coursework grounded in marketing, management, finance, or security analysis taught by Columbia faculty. It is ideal for students who want to solidify and concentrate their business knowledge and experience.
Offered during Summer Session 2 (Q), July 3–August 11
Open to both international and domestic students
Application deadline: April 14, 2017
A Business Course3 credits
- Choose one of the following six courses:
- Marketing Strategy Learn analytical skills used to formulate and implement marketing-driven strategies for an organization.
- Managing Information and Knowledge Learn leadership skills and knowledge-sharing in the promotion of innovation and change.
- Corporate Finance Learn financial statement analysis, performance metrics, valuation of stocks and bonds, and capital investment strategies.
- Security Analysis Learn how to perform fundamental analysis, prepare pro forma financial statements, estimate free cash flows, and apply valuation models.
- Introduction to Negotiation* Learn how to negotiate with internal and external stakeholders and how to foster better business relationships.
- Leading Alignment and Agility Learn how developing a clear purpose for an organization helps leaders build competitive advantage.
Courses meet 2 evenings per week, 6:10 to 9:30 p.m., for 6 weeks
* Introduction to Negotiation meets 6:10 to 8:00 p.m. Tuesdays, and 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. for 2 Saturdays
A Full-Time Internship3 credits
- Sample business sectors for the internship include:
- BusinessFinance, Accounting, Investment Banking, Insurance, Management Consulting, Real Estate, Hospitality, and Recruiting
- MediaTelevision, News, Magazines, Literary Agencies, and Communications
- NonprofitHealthcare, Museums, and Art Galleries
- MarketingAdvertising Agencies, Public and Investor Relations, Media Buying, Corporate Communications, Tour Operators, and Film Distribution
The internship runs 35–40 hours per week for 6 weeks
The limited enrollment of Business Practice facilitates individualized student-faculty interaction. Faculty, who are practitioners in their fields, will mentor you on your internship and coursework, and work with you toward a graded, term-end project.
We will place you in the Business Practice course that best fits your academic background and professional goals. For your internship, you will join a small or mid-sized company or nonprofit organization, where you will gain practical business experience, expand your professional network, and learn to balance a work-life experience in New York City. Upon successful completion of Business Practice, you will receive an official Columbia transcript.
As a Business Practice student, you will join the community of Columbia students and faculty, and gain access to the Writing Center, a world-renowned system of libraries, and other facilities and resources available on campus.
Program ContactsGeneral Information, Admissions Questions, and Advising
Office of Enrollment Management
School of Professional Studies
203 Lewisohn Hall
2970 Broadway, Mail Code 4119
New York, NY 10027-6902
Office hours: Monday–Friday, 9:00 a.m.–5:00 p.m.