Space is limited, and admission to the program is competitive. Applicants must have:
- A minimum cumulative GPA of 3.3
- Two strong letters of recommendation
- Strong writing ability as evidenced in a statement of purpose and a writing sample that each showcase intellectual and academic strength and promise for continued growth and achievement
- Scores in the 85th percentile or better in all subjects on the PSAT, SAT, PACT, or ACT
High school students who have been accepted by Columbia College as a student for the Fall 2018 term must contact their adviser at the College for approval to register for Columbia Summer courses.
Application DeadlinesSummer Sessions
February 1: Enrollment Priority
March 1: Application Fee Waiver
April 1: Deadline
$80.00 nonrefundable application fee payment in U.S. currency must accompany the application.
The writing sample must be a graded assignment from your high school that showcases your best work.
The statement should address the following:
- A brief summary of your academic background and your personal and academic goals.
- Clearly articulated ideas regarding why the High School Visiting Student program appeals to you and how participation in the program will help you realize your academic and personal goals.
- A description of a situation in which you contributed to the learning of your fellow students in the classroom that will allow the admissions committee to consider how you would fit into a learning experience at the university level.
Official transcripts must arrive in envelopes sealed by the issuing institutions. Copies, opened or unsealed envelopes, unofficial printouts, or facsimiles will not be accepted. Many schools take a number of weeks to fulfill transcript requests; please plan accordingly.
On either the PSAT, SAT, or the ACT (SAT school code:2594; ACT school code: 2721)
Attesting to your intellectual strengths and commitment to personal and academic growth. One letter must be from your school principal or guidance counselor and must include an approval of the courses you have selected for study. The second letter must be from a teacher.
Mailing AddressOffice of Enrollment Management
School of Professional Studies
203 Lewisohn Hall
2970 Broadway, Mail Code 4119
New York, NY 10027-6902
9:00 a.m.–5:00 p.m.