New York City’s many and diverse neighborhoods, combined with an extensive public transportation system, offer a variety of housing options that are convenient to Columbia University’s campus in Manhattan. The School of Professional Studies has housing availability for students who are enrolled full time in a Master of Science program on campus. We do not offer family housing. Columbia’s Off-Campus Housing Assistance (OCHA) office is a good resource for students seeking alternative housing.

SPS Housing

SPS partners with Educational Housing Services to offer housing within St. George Towers in Brooklyn Heights. One stop to Manhattan and minutes to Wall Street, the St. George Towers mixes the convenience of Manhattan with a Brooklyn charm. Students residing in the St. George have access to a community center on the building’s main floor, with a large kitchen, study spaces, screening room, on-site laundry facilities, and lounge with pool table and TV. Residents receive a membership to the Eastern Athletic Club free of charge.

Student rooms are furnished, double-occupancy (shared) dorm rooms. Each resident receives a regular twin-size bed, two under-bed dresser units, and a desk with chair. The room features a private bathroom, closet, flat-screen television with premium cable channels, apartment-size refrigerator, and microwave.

The St. George housing residence is located at 55 Clark Street in Brooklyn Heights, a beautiful historic neighborhood in Brooklyn just one stop off the 2/3 subway line, with breathtaking views of the Statue of Liberty, Manhattan skyline, and Brooklyn Bridge. The neighborhood boasts a half-mile waterfront promenade, inviting coffee shops, grocery stores, pharmacies, and great places to eat. There are plenty of places to walk, bike, skate, or jog.

SPS Housing Application

A housing application link with log-in information is provided to students upon admission. Students seeking SPS housing should complete the application and typically will be notified if housing is available, or if they have been placed on a waitlist, within five business days of submission.

Applying for Housing

  1. Sign-Up Code: In order to log into My Housing Portal and apply for housing, you will need to obtain a sign-up code. You will also need your PID number (Cxxxxxxxxx) in order to access the portal.
    • New Students: Housing applications instructions are typically sent with acceptance materials, along with your PID number. If you do not have a sign-up code, you can obtain one by emailing sps-studentlife@columbia.edu.
    • Continuing Students: If you are a continuing student not already in housing, you can obtain the sign-up code by emailing sps-studentlife@columbia.edu. Your PID number can be found by logging into SSOL.
  2. Create an account through My Housing Portal, log in, and apply for housing.
    • You will be able to monitor the status of your housing application and update it as needed through My Housing Portal.

Accepting an Offer

Students approved for housing will be made one housing offer. Notification will be sent by email. In order to accept the unit, you must make the payment as directed in the offer. Offers expire after five days. A $1,000 Room Reservation Deposit will be required to accept an offer, payable by credit or debit card. This deposit is credited to the Student Financial Services account after move-in. No refunds of any payments will be given if you accept an offer and later decide to not move into the unit.

Students sign agreements on the move-in date and are responsible for rental charges from that date on. If your move-in date has changed, log into My Housing Portal to make the change or contact the UAH office for assistance. Provide two passport-size photos of each occupant, and, if applicable, photocopies of your passport.

To sign a rental agreement you must bring:

  • Two (2) passport-size photos of yourself, as well as two photos each of your partner and children, if applicable.
  • Social security number or, if not available, your passport to be photocopied by UAH.

If you decline the offer, or if you do not make the required payment within five days, the offer will expire and the unit will be reassigned. If at a later date you want University housing, you will need to reapply and will be placed on the housing Wait List as a continuing student.

Disability Housing Accommodations

Accommodations are provided for students whose disabilities substantially limit their ability to live in Columbia’s traditional housing units. Students must follow the University’s Disability Housing Accommodations Procedures & Guidelines and submit the required form to Disability Services for consideration by the University Disability Housing Committee. Students must be otherwise eligible for University housing in order to be eligible for disability housing accommodations. For complete information regarding this process please visit the Disability Services Web site, or contact Disability Services.

Deadlines: June 1st for fall semester; November 1st for spring semester. While applications submitted after these dates will be accepted and considered, Columbia cannot guarantee that it will be able to meet late applicants’ accommodation needs, including any needs that develop during the semester.

Disability Services
Columbia Health
Wien Hall, 1st Floor Suite 108A
411 W. 116th Street, MC 3714
New York, NY 10027
Phone Voice/TTY: 212-854-2388
Fax: 212-854-3448
Email: disability@columbia.edu

SPS Housing Cost and Contract

Residents are required to sign a housing agreement to live in units for the entire academic year. If you are an incoming student for the spring semester, your housing contract will last until May unless you have extended your housing contract with SPS. An academic year is defined as a fall and spring semester.

Bills are payable in monthly installments, semester installments, or academic year payments. Monthly installments are $1,714 per month.

Leases and contracts may be broken without penalty for the following reasons:

  • You are graduating
  • Your affiliation is expiring
  • You will be taking an approved leave of absence
  • You will be transferring to another UAH accommodation

If you are vacating for any other reason, contact the SPS Office of Student Life to determine if any charges/penalties apply.

Columbia’s Off-Campus Housing Assistance Office

Columbia’s Off-Campus Housing Assistance (OCHA) office maintains an online database of available apartments and rooms for rent in the greater New York metropolitan area. A University Network ID (UNI) is required to sign up for OCHA. If you are a new student, activate your UNI account here. If you are a recently admitted student and you do not have a UNI yet, you may create a guest account.