Winter Cultural Program
Available in January.
Winter Institute Highlights: The Winter Institute is a two week English and cultural program for students in ALP levels 3-9.
- The goal of the course is to practice and improve English while learning about New York City.
- 15 hours of classroom instruction per week.
- 12 hours of project-based field trips and cultural activities in New York City with course instructors.
- Class time prepares students by reading, listening and discussing themes and topics relevant to the trip.
- During the field trips, students will complete tasks to guide their visit and develop their English.
- After each trip there will be additional activities, discussions, presentations and assignments.
- Sample trips may include: MOMA, The Metropolitan Museum of Art, The Lower East Side Tenement Museum, The American Museum of Natural History, The Museum of New York, The Museum of the Moving Image - among many others.
Winter Institute is not an academic program. Students wishing to study academic English full-time should apply to ALP's Fall, Spring, or Summer sessions.
Dates & Prices
For a full explanation of fees, see below.
|Application Deadline||December 9|
|Course Dates||January 7 – 18|
|Instructional Support Fee||$150|
|ALP Student Services Fee||$60|
SPS Activity Fee: this covers SPS expenses relating to orientation, handbooks and events.
Instructional Support Fee: this covers class materials and expenses such as playbooks, novels, newspapers, photocopying, theater tickets, museum or event entry.
ALP Student Services Fee: this covers internal I-20 processing fees and other SEVIS transactions.
Technology Fee: this covers SPS technology expenses, including access to online course management software, Canvas, and tools used to develop online course content.
Textbooks: this is an estimate. Instructors assign books at the beginning of the session and students must buy them. Students are not billed for textbooks.
Apply to Winter Cultural Program
Current ALP students must have reached ALP level 3 to be considered for admission.
New students must apply online, and then complete the online placement test for admission. The Winter Institute is a two week English and cultural program for students in ALP levels 3-9.
Applicants must apply online. Only applications submitted from the ALP Web site are accepted.
Completed online application form.
Nonrefundable application fee: U.S. $150.00 for online applications + $350.00 tuition deposit, payable by credit card only. No application will be processed without this fee.
Commission on English Language Program Accreditation
The Advanced Academic Preparation Program is accredited by the Commission on English Language Accreditation (CEA) for the period of April 2014 through April 2019. For this offering, the American Language Program agrees to uphold the CEA Standards for English Language Programs and Institutions. The U.S. Secretary of Education recognizes CEA as a national accrediting agency for English language programs and institutions.